• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
Here's a little orthocone, it's in a pocket of the rock . I left about a 1/4 inch of water in the pocket to get a clear shot of it. What's really interesting to me are the fossils covering the rest of the rock. I don't have a clue. they average at least a cm. Oh and the orthocone is 7cm. The first pic. is the orthocone after scrubbing. the next few will be of the rest of the rock before scrubbing the mold shows the shapes a little better. then I'll post a few after cleaning. It's odd to see the orthocone in the middle of what looks like a death plate of some sort?

Attachments

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
A nice orthocone in post 671

Another in post 672.

All the other things are very strange, I have no idea what they are unless they are gastropods. I just can't see anything to support that guess.:shock: More study needed.

Attachments

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
The pictures are just not doing the plate justice, I'm going to do more scrubbing and see if I can get better pics.i've never seen anything like them. Did you see post #666? Another curious thing, if it's a brachiopod it sure is preserved oddly.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Terri;196316 said:
Here's an odd little thing, the only thing I can come up with is brachiopod. The whitish shell is silica replaced but there's a little of the original shell with ribs(?) along the sides. From the Lebanon Limestone..
Looks like a brachiopod, with some geopetal action going on. :sly:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I live on a very small cove at the bend in a river that becomes a man-made lake where it bends away from our cove. The current washes "stuff" in to our cove, especially in the spring and it never leaves. I wonder if, instead of a 'death plate', your collection is something more like this where shells were washed into a dead end after a heavy rain(s).

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak