Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

What do you think about this one Kevin? I was thinking coiled nautiloid, the more I look at it, the more unsure I am.:hmm:

Attachments

• conv_297833.jpg
    conv_297833.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I have something in my largest tank that drills holes in the LR that look like that. I have no idea what they are and they are slowly eating at my rock (faster than I like seeing because I CAN see changes over several months). The holes are great for filtration but I am not crazy about my rock slowly deteriorating.

I will attempt to get clear pictures this weekend. I wish I had taken some close ups a couple of years ago when I first noticed that the holes were multiplying as a time lapse would be interesting. I think I will add a 6 month reminder and try to photograph specific areas to see if I can capture the change.

:cool2: Thanks Kevin! Seilacher briefly mentions Trypanites in his book; Trace Fossil Analysis. But Miller has a lot to say on the subject in his book; Trace Fossils Concepts/Problems/Prospects.

Now I'm wondering if the host was alive while inhabited or did the organism move in after death? :hmm:

To get to the siphuncle while it was alive they would have had to bore through the shell wall, puncturing the chambers. I think this would have killed the nautiloid before they could start boring into the siphuncle. So I think it was dead, and the septa and outer shell broken away before they started boring. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back