• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Onn - O. briareus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Still working on a name but on Thursday, I was honored with not one but two little guys to end our octolessness. This one was a live rock stowaway that escaped detection for several weeks, eating the crab livestock Kara and Philipp collect for sale. I knew I was getting this one and saw a preview photo but thought it was a bit older (eyes still show the bright blue circle of an animal that is maybe 6 weeks or less old). I was very concerned during acclimation as I could tell it was very stressed. Breathing was heavy anytime is would notice me and it stayed on the outer wall all day. By night it moved to the back wall behind the live rock but still did not den. Fortunately, by morning it found one of the two crabs and was struggling to pull it into the live rock and today I saw it elminiate its meal so I think it is adjusting :fingerscrossed: First posted pictures with my new Nikon P7200 (new camera, older model. My beloved Canon G9 suffered a fatal fall) ​

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Yes, I thought he/she was a little older from the photo and knowing it was in the system for awhile. NOT complaining mind you but survival is more of a concern. However, it is eating and took a piece of shrimp on a stick tonight so things are looking good. I am also glad that these are of different ages so I have a better chance of no losing both at almost the same time again.

Teacher Kim

GPO
Registered
Very cool! I like the way you have your live rock set up! Maybe that is part of my problem with Orange. The live rock is all across the back of the tank. Maybe I will try making a larger center area like yours. Good luck with both of them!!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
So far so good with this one. She/he is taking a small piece of thawed table shrimp once we wake her up and she detects the stick and she has consumed at least one live fiddler. She poked her head out of the rock tonight and did not vanish when we showed her attention from outside the glass so I am breathing easier.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Still poking her head up and observing her environment all night. She looks very alert and I am breathing normally.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Onn (Pronounced Ohn like Ohm with an n and comes from Octopus with No Name - Neal's doing) is even more recluse (or so it seems) than other very young O. briareus I have kept. She has found that the LR in her tank has a convenient cavity that completely hides her from view. Eventually she will outgrow it but I search for arms daily to be sure she is OK. Her unfortunate name comes from the fact that we have seen no personality traits and needed to call her something other than Tiny :roll:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
We made Onn fast on Saturday because she was not coming out for food at all (I normally don't start the one day with no food until they are older). We have been leaving crabs for her to hunt at night but she needs at least a little change of diet. It still too a lot of patience and the help of a white light to wake her up but she peaked out enough to see her eyes and took the shrimp AND the feeding stick. She dragged the end of the feeding stick (the acrylic kind with a bend at the end) into her den and even after two hours, she refused to release it. At lease we know WHERE she is and that she is doing well :roll:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Waiting to be fed

I posted more on Margay's journal but wanted to record the date on Onn's as well. Both octos were waiting to be fed tonight and aggressively took their meal. After their initial two weeks of acclimation both have been very reclusive and needed coaxing to eat. Onn often had to be given live food for her to hunt because she would not come out for the offered meal (she would eat it when we could get her attention so it was not the food itself). I am expecting that both will now expect food and need less coaxing and plan to journal the observation.

As noted in Margay's thread, I initiated a poll to encourage other to capture similar timings.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lryan

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak