• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

One on the way!

I will be collecting my crabs on the beach in miami, will there be any problems with this? Also, in case of an emergency (ran out of crabs and i cant get to the beach) is it ok to buy crabs that are sold as bait at fishing store? Or are these treated with some sort of chemical?

Live crabs are inverts and are quite sensitive to chemicals. I've never heard of live crabs in a bait store being treated with chemicals. I believe others on this site have purchased crabs from bait stores.

If you put them in your saltwater tank, the'll live a few weeks. If you give them a little habitat in a low plastic container with sand and a brackish "pond", they can live for years!

Nancy

ok well my crab collecting trip didnt exactly work out... all the crabs just kept running into little holes never to be seen again. Any one have any advice on catching them?

lol i just order 10 fiddler crabs from aquaculter.com for 13$.
about how often should i feed him?
everyday or everyother day?

Feed him something every day. Give him a crab one day. See if he will take a piece of thawed frozen shrimp the second day. (I'm assuming these crabs are farily small).

Watch to make sure he eats the whole thing within an hour or two, then remove the uneaten food. You can adjust the food - if some is uneaten, give him less the next time - although I know that's difficult with crabs!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back