• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Once bitten, twice shy

Steve O'Shea;92307 said:
Some might say .... after a few things that have happened around this place (work) this last week I think it's about time someone experienced a bite, rather than plain-old-ineffectual bark.

I posess the courtesy to have used "Dr. O" for you! :smile:

tywtly;92342 said:
Hey, geckos are cool.:smile: :wink:

I agree, but I have a real soft spot for the Tuatara. Our aquarium had one for some 60 years and she was still there when I first started in Marine Science. She was called Toots and periodically had to be placed on a diet and on an exercise regime (which she DID NOT appreciate!). Unfortunately she died a few years back due partly to old age (she was likely over 100 as she had been an adult when she arrived) and but mostly (:cry:) due to the fact that she liked the occasional triplefin (a rock pool fish) as a treat, turned out they were much too fatty and contained liver flukes that were just as happy inside Toots as in a fish.

This is one of the reasons I have food and feeding as such a hobby horse! She was a grand old girl and could conceivably have lived another 10 or so years.

J

Jean;92349 said:
I agree, but I have a real soft spot for the Tuatara.
J

The tuatara, one of the most lethal of NZs native animals (entirely accurate if slightly misleading :wink: ). I was surprised when I first found ut how soft thier skin is.

Seacritter22;93527 said:
I want an octopus but now im terrified of being bitten. DO they bite alot or is it extremely rare. And can a Bimac fit into a 46 gallon aquarium?

It's comparatively rare, you just need to be aware that they can bite and interact with them using a feeding stick rather than with your fingers!

j

Seacritter22;93527 said:
I want an octopus but now im terrified of being bitten. DO they bite alot or is it extremely rare. And can a Bimac fit into a 46 gallon aquarium?

Bimacs can bite occasionally (scroll back to the start of this thread!) but they seem to be less likely to than others. If you're careful, you can pretty much never give it a chance to bite.

46 gallons is a little smaller than the recommended 55 gallon minimum for a bimac... maybe some of the folks who have kept bimacs will chime on on whether adding extra filtration and a sump to a 46 might be enough, although I think Nancy mentioned that people saw them showing signs of being cramped, like bumping into walls and such, when kept in tanks smaller than 55.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back