• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

on the raising of mysid

Thales;113875 said:
I think the issue with frozen is keeping it cold while in transit, which usually means fast transit, which usually means expensive. If you guys have andy ideas about it, I would be happy to give it a shot.

This was my thoughts as well.I thought of shipping them out to tonmo'ers, since ive recently found a place that sold them in frozen packs. Unlike when we buy them by the lb live, every shrimp in these packages are the large sized ones. These are easy for me to get, but shipping them is a different story.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
dry ice would be a bit more expensive, but might last better. I don't know if the extreme cold would damage them, though.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thales,
If you can find convenient dry ice and a well sealed styrofoam cooler, you can do priory mail (2 day) but not with frozen water. :oops: Just went to page two and saw my suggestion was not timely. I have gotten frozen foods this way without problem. Drs. Foster & Smith used to say they used dry ice but only use a ton of ice packs (more water weight than the Cyclop-eeze). This works pretty well now but originally they tried just covering the product and it did not ship well. The dry ice, well insulated, does keep things actually frozen and not just cold.

cuttlechris

Wonderpus
Registered
i love styrofoam, i've used it as an insulator in chem labs and it works pretty well, despite the fact that the statue of liberty will decompose before it... any way, great scott i think we're onto something