• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OMG, picture of a bluering on someone's finger...

There are no pics of wunderpus or flamboyants in the mast head, but there are pics of blue rings - good pics. The pics of the blue rings in the mast head have no information about the husbandry, and a random person wanting that information on this site cant really get information about them unless they register. I don't think I am calling for any kind of muzzling, just for consistency in our stance- if blue rings should not be promoted, should they really have their pictures splashed around the site?

I offered to change my avatar when the ethics thing happened and was told, to my suprise, that it was ok. :biggrin2:

Thales;98649 said:
There are no pics of wunderpus or flamboyants in the mast head, but there are pics of blue rings - good pics. The pics of the blue rings in the mast head have no information about the husbandry, and a random person wanting that information on this site cant really get information about them unless they register. I don't think I am calling for any kind of muzzling, just for consistency in our stance- if blue rings should not be promoted, should they really have their pictures splashed around the site?

I offered to change my avatar when the ethics thing happened and was told, to my suprise, that it was ok. :biggrin2:

I'm actually fine with adding pictures of wunderpus, flamboyants, or nautilus to the masthead, even though I think their husbandry should be discussed in the exotics section. But I don't speak for the whole staff.

I start to worry a little when pictures or discussions make it obvious that someone is keeping the animal in a home tank, particularly if it can be inferred that this is in no way problematic. I wouldn't object to a picture of a tiger or a pilot whale or a cobra, either, because seeing a picture doesn't necessarily make people think they can or should keep the animal as a pet.

Monty, fair enough, and I agree! :biggrin2:

FWIW, when I have a couple of boiler plate paragraphs I use in moderating the forums I moderate. I also wrote one about wunderpus thats in my wunderpus thread. I think such things are a good idea and very useful.

Thales;98649 said:

Well, don't forget that this site is not exclusively concerned with husbandry even if the majority of the posts are related to it. A viewer might be curious to look up blue-ring biology or mating habits for example, and have no interest in keeping one.

That's really all these images are - just pictures to make the site more attractive to casual viewers; one really shouldn't try and draw implications about a site's stance just from an image of a particular cephalopod on the home page. I'm sure Tony would happily add Argonauts, Vulcanoctopus, Stauroteuthis, Belemnoteuthis and so on if the image was attractive enough. I think Tony will add to the pool of title images in time and lots of other exotics will creep in.

Of course you chaps should really keep ammonites, they really are no trouble at all, and don't even require feeding. :mrgreen:

How about a mimic?

Mimictryingtobeaflounder.jpg

A flamboyant?

e-mailP2120950.jpg

bluezombie;101529 said:
Are those VERY venomous? Cause they look so awesome :biggrin2:

Which? Blue rings are crazy-venomous when they bite. There's reports (unpublished except for a vague interview on some science TV show) that flamboyant cuttles (Metasepia) have toxic flesh so they shouldn't be eaten. As far as I know, we don't know if Metasepia, wunderpuses, or mimics have a bite that's toxic to humans, and I don't see a lot of people lining up to be the test subjects to find out...

monty;101531 said:
Which? Blue rings are crazy-venomous when they bite. There's reports (unpublished except for a vague interview on some science TV show) that flamboyant cuttles (Metasepia) have toxic flesh so they shouldn't be eaten. As far as I know, we don't know if Metasepia, wunderpuses, or mimics have a bite that's toxic to humans, and I don't see a lot of people lining up to be the test subjects to find out...

So one little blue ring bite could kill you even at the tip of your finger?

bluezombie;101532 said:
So one little blue ring bite could kill you even at the tip of your finger?

yup. anything that gets the toxin (TTX) into your bloodstream will cause respiratory paralysis even in very small quantities. The good news is that if someone puts you on a mechanical respirator, it'll wear off in a few hours/days. The other good news is that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, so if it doesn't bite you on the spine or something your central nervous system will be OK (and cardiac nerves are OK, too, so your heart will work even if your lungs don't.)

monty;101534 said:
yup. anything that gets the toxin (TTX) into your bloodstream will cause respiratory paralysis even in very small quantities. The good news is that if someone puts you on a mechanical respirator, it'll wear off in a few hours/days. The other good news is that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, so if it doesn't bite you on the spine or something your central nervous system will be OK (and cardiac nerves are OK, too, so your heart will work even if your lungs don't.)

Damn. All the cool animals are dangerous :frown:

bluezombie;101535 said:
Damn. All the cool animals are dangerous :frown:

Hm thats very personal... beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink:

Interesting post, reminds me Shimek at Reefkeeping long time ago.
I believe is our responsability to be informed about the liforms we maintain. Not only for being dangerous (sounds obvious) but also just for the respect we deserve to the animals we care.

agreed

Blue Rings are not aggressive creatures. i have had one before along with bali octopus and they are all not really aggressive. I do NOT reccomend a blue ring to anyone, but if you have done your research and have had prior experience with cephalopods then its really your call...

its a thrill to watch the blue rings appear on the octopi when it is attacking its prey, feeding them are one of a kind experiences.

:welcome: varez.

Yup, they don't seem to be aggressive, but like any animal, they can be unpredictable... with scary consequences. But ignorance can be a real problem, too; I wouldn't want to see attempts to exterminate them in the wild just because they're poisonous/scary, and if you're keeping them responsibly, I don't have a problem with that...

well its not a shock the octo did not bite him, they are not real aggressive but i still would NEVER do that, lol. They DO bite and you CAN die so it is nothing to risk, but its like keeping a loaded gun, dont point it at you and shoot, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back