• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OMG guys , im so busy , im getting in 3 octos tommorow, two bimacs and a briarus

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
im getting a briarus species octopus for my 55 in my bedroom and jim emaild me today to let me know that he is shipping my two bimacs for my 240 gallon tank today as well for tommorow delivery

im gonig to be so busy , acclimating them

im doing a water change on my 240 as my nitrates are a litle high ,

they are a light orange where it is suppossed to be yellow, but other than nitrates,

everything looks great

i need some names.

fingers ? adn then i need a couples name for the two bimacs that will be going in the 240

maybe lucy and ethel lol

brilliant!!! your gunna need some feeder tank!!!

I'd go for Bert an Ernie or

Ted & Dougle and Jack ( not sure if you'll get that if you havnt seen Father Ted)

Wow!!! I am soooo jealous!!! Nothing like having octos from one end of the house to the other!!! Make sure you keep us updated!!!! And acclimate slowly!!!!

Carol

my last octo i acclimated for 30 minutes adding 5 ml of water every 5 minutes

but i think im even going to do it slowe this time

one reason it was so short last time is caue the last time i approached the bag to add 5 more ml , he inked really bad and i thought it would kill him if i left him in the bag

ive never kept briarus species before , im eager to see what it looks like.

i hear they dont like lights though , so im going to have to find me so really low wattage bulbs
right now on his tank is 80 watts of regular flourescent

Use the drip method: take a few feet of air line tubing, tie a couple loose knots in it and start a siphon from your main tank into his bag. Tighten or losen the knots as needed so the water drips in--that way you don't need to freak him out every few minutes. I've been lurking on seahorse pages and some of them recommend to let the bag sit in the tank for fifteen minutes BEFORE dripping to start matching the temperature.

Dan

kool.

i dont know if 2 octopus has ever been kept together on this board

but octopets tol dme they keep severtal together fine and that I should be more than ok with 2 in a 240 gallon as long as they are well fed

I kept 2 baby bimacs from Octopets, sad to say it did nto work, the stress they caused one another eventually killed them both, good luck tho.

I don't know anything about octo husbandry, but theres something to be said for keeping multiples in a tank. This means either one or a lot, not just two. In some cases it spreads out aggression, in other cases it negates aggression altogether. Again, I'm surprised to read that it is not standard practice to allow the bag to float for 15 minutes before adding water. In the tropical fish hobby this is always done to minimalize temperature shock, and most trop. fish are MUCH hardier than cephs. Just somemore thoughts. Congrats though on such expansion!!! I'm sitting here in a dorm room completely devoid of life and I'm not impressed (I gotta get myself at least a betta!). Look forward to hearing more.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back