Ollie - New O. briareus

Sedna always comes up with interesting names and has started making it a challenge for me to have to look up the reference :wink: We take turns naming animals unless a name presents itself serendipitiously. Creepy was the request for a name by my supplier because it was Halloween and she/he was missing almost all of 7 of its 8 arms. Octane had a name before he came and gave Will fits :wink:

KaySoh remains camera shy even though I don't use a flash. She knows when I have the camera out and will retreat where she will remain out if I approach the tank without it. Dale (GoneToBaha) has mentioned that the green lazers they tried on the squid camera may have chased away squid. My camera has a green focus light that helps (a lot) pinpoint the focus center and it may be that she sees it.

This little guy looks nice and healthy but I usually hold my breath for about two weeks. The briareus seem to do better than most and either die within a day or survive until senescence. I think a lot has to do with the fact that they are directly from the point of origin and are only shipped and contained once before finding a home.

It is kind of funny where this one chose for a den. He thinks he is hidden when in fact I can see most of it's mantle sticking through an openeing in the rocks. :lol: Good hiding spot little guy.

1-2.jpg

Morpheus was with me just over 2 weeks, I am holding my breath a little longer.

One advantage of briareus over others we see is that size does matter as far as aging goes. It may be because most are caught in the same are with the same food supply but Mucktopus has mentioned seeing various sizes of aculeatus that appeared to be similar in age in Indonesia. That being said, you do have to take more than mantle length into consideration as I think Creepy may be older than she/he looks based upon the thickness of the one arm that had not been removed.

We saw our octopus last night. was up near the surface. I tried to feed it but it retreated back into the rockwork. It was rediculous, a peppermint shrimp and serpent star attached themselves to my feeding stick, the star is really strong, we played tug o war with the shrimp. The octopus didn't want anything to do with the shrimp I offered. I don't feel good about this, I feel like I am living a rerun. Morpheus wound not take food either. I don't see any signs of him eating. (body parts) I have 2 fiddlers, 3 emeralds and 7 peppermint shrimp in the tank so he has plenty to choose from. How long can they go without food?

I have seen studies that experimented with them in the lab and to try to determine if the females actually starved or if something else goes on during brooding and the answer was weeks.

We have two Red brittles (Pesky and PeskyToo) that are always very active when there is an octo in residence (we don't see them otherwise) and they go after the shrimp daily. I have started touching the one that tries to get KaySoh's food just to see if it will learn to let me :roll:

When you have the next opportunity try to touch the shrimp to the suckers at least half way down the arm. It seems that the closer to the mouth, the more sensative the suckers are. Remember that shrimp on a stick does not look like anything they eat so tasting it is important until they learn a kabob is food. It is odd that the fiddlers have not been consumed yet though. Do you see him searching the LR? He may be eating little things like copepods but should be very ready for a real meal.

You might try holding the shrimp and slowly wiggling it on the back wall. Just don't jump when an arm grabs you as that could impact feeding (touching the back of the arm with a spare finger usually get you released - in the beginning anyway). I have started hand feeding KaySoh since she has been slow to want to interact. She is coming out more and more each week but is still very timid with much movement. At the moment she is more interested in trying to sample my fingers (which taste like the shrimp I am trying to give her - I have not had to do this with hummelincki) than the shrimp, even when she touches the shrimp that she has been accustomed to eating.

We are only feeding Creepy every other day. His/her appetite is better but still not as strong as it should be so we are experimenting. The prior arm damage was extensive and it is really surprising he/she has survived to grow back 7 arms to the six or so inches they are now (with continuing new growth). The one arm that was not removed at the webbing is thicker and longer than any of KaySoh's arms but the mantle is about 2/3 the size. With most briareus, size of mantle and age are usually nicely tied but I suspect Creepy is older and has lived on a much leaner diet that most.

Last night he was out prowling around. As soon as he saw me he retreated back into the rocks. I walked away for about 20 minutes and when I came back he was out again. I had the shrimp ready but again he retreated when I approached. (I did see one eye peeking at me) I am trying to stay positive, he is just being shy, eventaually I hope he will get curious about his human keeper. He sure is big and beautiful, watching him move over the rocks gave me goose bumps. All the fish, shrimp and snails are living in terror, they are on high alert with :twisted: in their world.
Any tricks to encourage a bashful octopus??

Time and more Time. Spending time (even though they don't seem to notice you) in front of the tank and waiting time for them to grow up a bit. Briareus in particular seem to need to be a certain age/size before they accept humans. The fact that you are seeing him out is encouraging as I still don't see either one of mine out at night (SueNami would stay out almost all night eventually but not at this stage). I still think he is eating something that you don't see since he is out and about. You might try making the shrimp on the stick smaller, maybe only the tail.

I was just sitting at my kitchen counter makeing Christmas orniments and I glanced at the tank and guess who was checking me out? All of a sudden without warning I had an epiphany.
I looked up epiphany, didn't want to use the word incorrectly and this is what it said~
a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
My octopus's name is Ollie, YEAH!!
I think he suddenly noticed he had my attention and vloop.. back into his den. I have a tiny piece of shrimp waiting in case he decided to revisit me tonight. I can't believe how excited I get when I am lucky enough to catch a glimps of him.

Oh my god!! Ollie was out and about again. He was definately hunting, going after a shrimp then a fish. I could tell he was hungry. I had the shrimp ready but was worried I'd scare him. I finally decided to go for it. I approached from the opposite side so he would not see me. As soon as the shrimp was near him, he pounced. It was the most thrilling thing I have ever experienced. My husband and daughter were watching. I had the camera ready but neither one could see to turn it on. (in the dark) Picture me, one hand in the tank, with the other fumbling to turn on the camera and set it. I know I only had one chance. Ollie let got of the feeding stick and was on his way back to his den. I shot one picture with the free hand and I was absolutely amazed at how well it turned out. :biggrin2: The hole ordeal lasted maybe 5 minutes but was an hours worth of thrilling. I am going to love feeding this guy. I now realize my first octopus Morpheus never really ate. Ollie is really strong too, he was really pulling on the stick. I am not sure if I will be able to sleep now, I am really stoked, that was fun.
Here is the photo I managed to take.

Ollie.jpg

:roflmao::roflmao:

I have done the camera in one hand trick too many times. :wink: I keep the tripod available but often there is not time to set it up. Your camera did a good job even without the circumstances but be careful not to drop it in the tank :wink:.

I take it he took the shrimp to his den? If so, feeding should get easier if you didn't scare the tar out of him with the flash. Perhaps he was just waiting for a name (more likely the live food has disappeared).

One thing we have noticed is that they tend to eliminate just before feeding time once they establish a schedule. SueNami was quit ... regular :smile:

I have noticed that the peppermint shrimp seem to learn how to avoid an octopus. I had two in Beldar's tank. One got too curious the first week but the other survived Bel and is in with Creepy now and still manages to stay uneaten. During acclimation release I was not sure this would be the case as it was vary curious about the new container (photo in Creepy's log).

Another item of note about the crab/lobster by-catch octos. They seem to need a couple of inches on their regrowing arms before they become comfortable. I am not sure there is any real coorelation to the observation but the Skywindsurfer's briareus does not suffer from this injury and seems to have interacted sooner.

I can't wait to read your log when you see your first webover :razz: Note to self - keep camera in octo room at all times :biggrin2:

dwhatley;146788 said:
dwhatley;146788 said:
I have done the camera in one hand trick too many times. :wink: I keep the tripod available but often there is not time to set it up. Your camera did a good job even without the circumstances but be careful not to drop it in the tank :wink:.

A tripod is sounding better and better.

I take it he took the shrimp to his den? If so, feeding should get easier if you didn't scare the tar out of him with the flash. Perhaps he was just waiting for a name (more likely the live food has disappeared).

I was thinking the same thing, kind my own worse enemy on this point so I will try to control those urges, I know it scares him.

One thing we have noticed is that they tend to eliminate just before feeding time once they establish a schedule. SueNami was quit ... regular :smile:

Octopus eliminations? Oh wow, something to look forward to! That may have sounded sarcastic, but I really am looking forward to seeing this.

I have noticed that the peppermint shrimp seem to learn how to avoid an octopus. I had two in Beldar's tank. One got too curious the first week but the other survived Bel and is in with Creepy now and still manages to stay uneaten. During acclimation release I was not sure this would be the case as it was vary curious about the new container (photo in Creepy's log). Another item of note about the crab/lobster by-catch octos.

I have 6 peppermints in the tank, I watched Ollie's feeble attempts hunting them. The peppermints look to be an easy mark but they can be pretty darn quick when they need to be.

They seem to need a couple of inches on their regrowing arms before they become comfortable. I am not sure there is any real coorelation to the observation but the Skywindsurfer's briareus does not suffer from this injury and seems to have interacted sooner.

I got a good look at the leg which had been severed. It appears to have grown considerably, I remembered you said they regrow fast, looks to have grown 1-1 1/2 inches, a cute little curly pigtail.

I can't wait to read your log when you see your first webover :razz: Note to self - keep camera in octo room at all times :biggrin2:

Your going to have to clearify this for me. What is a webover? Sounds interesting though.

Sure, I may try the video feature on my camera. Now I just have to get little Ollie to cooperate. I am confident in time he will. Can't tell you how relieved I am that he is eating for me...WHOSH! I am tired, just finished all my water changes, cleaning fuges, pulling mini brittle stars out of cheato, scrubbing glass and I have dish pan hands which I call fish tank hands. What we won't do for the

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back