[Octopus]: Ollie - Abdopus (sp)

Well I've had Ollie just over a month and he's still doing well. Our power went out last Fri. but I'm always prepared for that. I keep 7 or 8 battery operated aerators on hand and of course lotsss of D cell batteries. We always have heat but in order to keep the tanks warm I cover them with blankets , and for dire emergencies I have a case of large air activated body warmers that I can tape to the tanks. Ollie wasn't at all impressed with the aerators but it was for his own good , and he got over it.
He has inked just a little bit twice since the first time he did it, and I am convinced it's his way of saying " FEED ME NOW " He will be dancing on the glass like always then suddenly shoot off the glass ink a little and plaster himself to the glass right in front of my face. I've started anticipating this and go and get his food before he has a chance to ink.
I got a fairly long and shaky video of him dancing , I stopped to go get his food , as I could tell it was becoming a "FEED ME NOW" moment.

If you use the search feature and look for "food slave" (include the quote marks), you will note a large number of post that shows I accept the role as slave, not master :wink:

When you have to run an airline inside the tank, our best guess is to keep it close to the surface. There have been a couple of incidences with bubbles (larger, not tiny but safety is unclear) getting under the mantle. Once trapped there, the octopus cannot get them out and will be fatal if not released (human release has no specified techniques but IF you can flip the animal, it may work). If the bubbler is kept close to the surface, it should still release the CO2 and minimize the possibility of this problem.

Video clearly shows Ollie is male :biggrin2:

Sadly I believe senescence has begun. He hasn't taken any food for several days, he's been hiding most of the time, and when I checked on him over my lunch hour he was curled tightly on the glass with the regular tank lights on. That's a first ,but I've been expecting it. I'm certain he was a full grown adult when I got him because he has not grown at all in the last two months. I did all the test and the water in perfect , but I had to reassure myself.
We leave in 5 days for a month long vacation, and I almost hope he passes before I leave so my son doesn't have to deal with it.
One bright spot , he finally let me touch him. It's kind of sad that many of them don't allow this until the end is near.:sad:

He went back to his den last night but he didn't close the entrance with shells, he just sat in there curled in a ball. This morning he is on the glass again and his arms are corkscrewed.

The death watch is horrible , this morning he was hanging on the glass and when the lights came on , he just let go and landed upside down. He was still breathing so I sat him upright and turned the lights off. It is so hard to watch him struggle ,I think it will be over soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back