Old Stranded Giant Squid photo link

Rob Romero

Blue Ring
Registered
If you look halfway down the attached page on the included link, you’ll see a photo of two men standing besides the remains of what appears to be a gigantic stranded squid with a ship in the background. I’ve see this picture elsewhere on the net –does anyone know the story behind this alleged stranding –the caption seems to indicate that it’s from New Zealand in 1888 –can anyone elaborate on and or verify this story.

Redirect Notice

Thanks,

Rob Romero

edit by monty, here's an inline of the image:

extraocalamar.jpg

looks rather fishy to me. Unless I'm misinterpreting, the suckers are rather unsquiddy, and the bulk of the mantle is a lot less floppy than most large squids on land. That's just my first impression, though.

We've seen this image before (somewhere online it is debated). The conclusion was that it was a hoax, or an extensively modified image. (I think Clem might have had a good look at it.)

There is no way that this is a squid; not in a million years!!! If it is based on an actual image then it had been enhanced to look more squid like. It can only be the remains of a whale or basking shark, and that's if it is real.

Thanks Rob -- Yes, this is a known hoax. The single row of suckers was one tip. As Steve notes, I do believe Clem covered this item -- somewhere in the recesses of this forum!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back