Old purple frog

I just read about them in the papers today, they look more like a soft shelled turtle rather than a frog to me. It has been named Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis from the Sanskrit word for nose (nasika) and batrachus, which means frog. Sahayadri is the name of the hills along the western indian coast.

joel_ang said:
It has been named Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis from the Sanskrit word for nose (nasika) and batrachus, which means frog. Sahayadri is the name of the hills along the western indian coast.

Thanks, joel. I was wondering what the little buggers'd be called. I just know I'm going to froget that, though. And....

:tomato:

Further frog photos:

Figure 1 Holotype of Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis. a, Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis in life. b, Detail of head, showing slender mouth and distinct protrusion on snout. c, Detail of hand, showing rudimentary webbing. d, Detail of foot showing the large, white inner metatarsal tubercle. e, X-ray photograph showing strongly calcified bones. The arrow indicates the prehallux. f, X-ray photograph showing strongly ossified skull and pectoral girdle. The yellow arrow indicates the presumed neopalatine bone; the black arrow indicates the coracoid, the lateral end of which is wider than the medial.

Nature 425, 711 - 714 (16 October 2003)

Attachments

• conv_287635.jpg
    conv_287635.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 93
Thank you for posting this! :notworth:

If we ever get to go on vacation ever again, I will stamp my feet and insist that we go to India to meet Old Purple Frog, which is not a brand of bourbon. :smile:

Unless we go to New Zealand to get in Kat and Steve's way! :meso:

Melissa

Fossil frogs?

I can't imagine there are very many of those known. Those tiny bones must be so rarely preserved. I wonder if there are any fossil tadpoles recorded?

This is quite interesting, a 200 million year old frog:

http://sln.fi.edu/inquirer/frog.html

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back