[Old Board Archive] General Octopus Sighting (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #60 Posted at Mon Nov 4 17:16:05 2002 216.184.13.28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Sundays Ripley's Believe it or Not Comic had a mention of Octopus in it - as an ice cream flavor! You can view it here
http://www.comics.com/comics/ripleys/archive/ripleys-20021103.html
-- Lithographette

Reply #61 Posted at Mon Nov 4 18:09:43 2002 64.171.78.110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sadly, there's cuttlfish flavor in japan as well
-- Sedusa

Reply #62 Posted at Mon Nov 4 19:32:56 2002 205.188.208.43
On the other hand, they also have it in Red Bean, Green Tea, and Ginger flavors. All yummmm! (I've never been to Japan, but I've had these for dessert at several Japanese restaurants around here.)

BTW, here's an interesting observation from some American commercials: I've heard several radio spots advertising a product called the "Dux Bed" (the D-u-x spelling emphasized in the script), alleged to be THE most comfortable bed according to consumer polls. For a long time this made no sense to me.

Then I started paying more attention to TV commercials for another product called the "Nautilus Bed", a mattress comprised of super-comfortable air-filled chambers. I must have been pretty dense not to have noticed the connection before -- Nautilus, air-filled chambers, well duh!

But it suddenly occurred to me that the implied connection could be carried one step further: If the Nautilus Bed is good, then of course the [Architeuthis] Dux Bed must be even better.... in fact, the ultimate in its class (at least according to its manufacturer).

Is this a deliberate, subtle analogy? Am I crazy, or are American ad agencies finally exhibiting a certain amount of cleverness (whether or not they believe the general public will "get" it)?

The Truth Is Out There!
-- TaningiaDanae

Reply #63 Posted at Mon Nov 4 19:57:23 2002 216.184.13.28
Sorry to break it to you, Tani, but you must be crazy. There is no way that American ad agencies are that clever. It is a common symptom of us loonies to find brilliance where there is none.
-- Lithographette

Reply #64 Posted at Mon Nov 4 22:30:23 2002
Last Modified at Mon Nov 4 22:31:35 2002 by Tintenfisch 210.54.200.250
Yeah... thought I remembered reading something in Ellis' 'Search for the GS' about the name A. dux but turns out he only analyzes the Archi part.
There's also a plumbing/bathroom fixture company called Dux, for what it's worth - maybe the aquatic connection?
Or MAYBE there IS a sneaky cephalofan behind the Nautilus and Dux bed scheme!
We'd like to think so, anyway...
-- Tintenfisch

Reply #65 Posted at Mon Nov 4 23:19:05 2002
Last Modified at Mon Nov 4 23:19:49 2002 by Phil 62.6.64.79
As for the origin of 'Dux', for what it's worth 'Dux' is the Latin word for leader or commander. It is from this word we derive the title of Duke. For example, there is surviving an eleventh century copy of a late fourth century list of military units stationed throughout the Roman empire called the 'Notitia Dignitatum'. This records the post of 'Dux Britanniarum' who held command of the units on Hadrians Wall and a further twelve Dukes who had control of army units across continental Europe.

Either that or the bed was actually a 'Ducks bed' and was in fact stuffed with duck feathers.

Sorry this post had absolutely nothing to do with cephalopods!
-- Phil

Reply #66 Posted at Wed Nov 6 09:37:44 2002
Last Modified at Wed Nov 6 09:38:58 2002 by Tintenfisch 210.55.84.184
In a fit of boredom, during which I gave in and turned on the Evil Box, I was rewarded with the following Random Ceph Appearance double-header last night (probably only on NZ TV): Warm Squid Salad was on the menu for a cooking show called Oliver's Twist, and then on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, the brilliant Colin Machrie did a pretty good impression of struggling with a very huggy octopus (his assignment being 'fishing for dangerous deep-sea creatures').
Never know what you're going to see on the darned thing.
BTW, Ryan Stiles, if you're out there reading this, will you marry me?
-- Tintenfisch

Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #67 Posted at Wed Nov 6 10:00:04 2002 152.163.188.36

Sorry to break it to you, Tani, but you must be crazy. There is no way that American ad agencies are that clever. It is a common symptom of us loonies to find brilliance where there is none.

True indeed, Lith! Great thinkers such as us TONMOers often discern cosmic correspondences which others cannot. Much like Homer Simpson when he thought the Japanese logo for Mr. Sparkle ("I disrespect dirt!") was his face, and it turned out to be a cross between a fish and a light bulb....

(Personally, I like Kat's theory that the home furnishing industry has been infiltrated by cephalofans. It gives a whole new meaning to the word "armchair"!)

Note to Phil: Thanks for the etymology of "dux", and the duck feather theory. The latter crossed my mind too, but they made a point of spelling out the name D-U-X in the commercial, I guess for that reason.

And you don't have to apologize for going off topic -- after all, I was the one who brought up the subject in the first place. I figure, if you don't mind me talking about radio commercials and furniture, I don't mind you attributing an Aleister Crowley quote to an Ammonite (or was that a Thelemanite?)

XCIII,
Tani (TaningiaDanae)

Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #68 Posted at Wed Nov 6 10:05:52 2002 152.163.188.36

BTW, Ryan Stiles, if you're out there reading this, will you marry me?

Sorry, Kat, he's mine. (And don't tell me to settle for Greg Proops, if I'd wanted Buddy Holly I would've grabbed the real thing when he was alive!)
-- TaningiaDanae

Reply #69 Posted at Wed Nov 6 10:56:28 2002 205.188.208.43
Almost forgot -- a couple of days ago we rented GALAXY QUEST, which we'd seen at the movies when it first came out. Besides starring three male actors on my personal "want list" (Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, and Tim Allen), it is a delightfully clever satire of the Trekker scene.

Anyway, GALAXY QUEST features a group of benign, nerdy aliens called Thermians who use "appearance generators" to assume humanoid form, but when shown in their actual forms they are human-sized cephalopods with octopus-like bodies and arms plus squidlike tentacles. What's unique is that even in their ceph forms, they are very sympathetic, likeable, and even heroic.

In one memorably funny scene, Tony Shalhoub's character (a genuine human) foils the bad guys (some lobster-like rival aliens), and Thermian beauty "Laliar", in her human form, gratefully gives him a passionate kiss. While they are kissing, she starts to morph into her real form and one of her tentacles wraps around him. Then they sink blissfully to the floor, out of sight, while another human crewmember looks down at them in embarrassment and comments, "Oh, that's just.... wrong!" (It has a happy ending too -- but I don't want to be a spoiler.)

So there is indeed at least one fictional representation of cephs as "good guys". Perhaps there's hope for the world after all....
-- Tani (TaningiaDanae)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back