• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Old Board Archive] Bimaculoides' substrate

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Bimaculoides' substrate|xcooxoolx|
Colin's equipment list recommends fine sand for a general cephalopod substrate. I've read about its tendency to cloud up the water when disturbed and this makes me reluctant to purchase it. Logic leads me to believe that the bimaculoides, a species I assume doesn't bury, wouldn't mind the abrasive nature of a course substrate. Is this true?

Re: Bimaculoides' substrate|octomonkey|
Hi Ctech
sorry i took so long to reply but i am on a vacation

anyway, when you get sand from a lfs, without exception, it is usually really messy!! The last lot of sand i cleaned took over an hour for a 47gal tank and still wasnt perfect.
as long as you clean out the sand in water in a bucket until it is clean it really wont make a mess in your tank. If the octo stirs it up a bit it settles within seconds.

The bimac is a mudflat octopus and would not appreciate a rough substrate. fine sand is best..
cheers
colin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back