• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Ok, the 200 is ready for Ocho!

Inception7

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice on my earlier post. I have decided to convert my 200 to an octopus tank. I am going today to pick up the little guy and have just one more question. Last night I hooked up the new chiller and set it to 74F. I am wondering, will this be ok whatever species it is? I don't think it's a Bimac now but it may be a vulgaris, humm or briareus. The octopus looks alot like the first picture in the ReefScavengers thread. Many people said it looked like a Vulgaris. Thanks for your help. One more thing, after I acclimate him/her for a couple hours, do I net it or dump most of the water out and let it slide in?

Edit: By the way I am in Southern California.

Inception7

Blue Ring
Registered
Ok, so I went just to go visit it today before I take him home later... I notice he has deep blue rings around the suckers on his tenticles... does this mean that he is a hummenlicki?

Could be a clue. I wouldn't use that as a definite way to tell though. I've seen pictures of several different species having the typically solid white suckers and in other photos having color surrounding their suckers.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
hummelincki have eyespots, but they don't show them all the time. The eyespots look somewhat different than bimac spots, so they'd be an indicator, if you can get a good pic. I think the recent pic of Glove has blue sucker edges, but I didn't think he's a hummelincki although I don't remember if he's really been IDed.

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
my last octo was Octopus Sp. 2, if u look that one up in Norman's Cephalopods: A World Guide. he displayed the same threat dispalys and patterns, was the right size, and came from the same region. when startled, he would turn his suckers a dark blue-purple, then go into his black-and-white threat dispaly

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug B

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak