ok lets feed it

I don't know man... I got a finger pinched by a nickel sized fiddler and it was pretty damn strong. I like snipping the tip off the top pincher so it can't connect. More or less it's just my own peace of mind though. I was feeding Einy (my dwarf O. mercatoris) fiddlers with intact claws and I did see him get grabbed one time. Didn't seem to do any damage, but I was kinda mad at myself over it. Einy just retreated and came back for more a few minutes later.

An A. aculeatus I kept in the tank at my job for a little while would rip off the big claw completely and take the rest back to its den.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I will bring my camera to prove it!:wink:

I disable the large claw. If the crab drops it, I hand it to Octane. Sometimes he cleans it out and other times he ignores it. I don't even attempt to give it to the Mercs.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
We never disable the prey. After all this is what they deal with in the wild, also we release back to the wild and while I'm sure there are some handicapped (clawdicapped?) crabs they would be in the minority.

J

iwun1

Blue Ring
Registered
hermits?

i dont want to sound newbie but are the hermits your talking about the little crabs in my clean up crew in my reef tank?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Probably! Hermit crabs are the one that inhabit old snail shells (don't grow their own) they are often in cleanup crews and can come in a range of species and sizes, octopus will quite often find them most tasty!

J

iwun1

Blue Ring
Registered
o cause i thought it must be somthing else cause these cost like 3-5 dollars each at my lfs for cleanup crews do you guys buy in bulk or something?and if so how much are they then?

uuuuhhhhhhh.....try finding another LFS, I dont know anywhere, apart from petco and petsmart, that sells hermits for more than .99 each. And petco/petsmart really aren't great places to buy live pets because thestaff really doessnt know that much about specific animals, they pretty much higher anyone off the street, it's alright to buy food and supplies, but the live animals are over priced, under cared for, and under quality in my experience.