• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octpus Cyaneus

If this is indeed an O. cyanea, it will grow rapidly. It is not uncommon on the reef to find them weighing 5-6 kg and I caught one on Manihi a few years ago that probably went 8 kg. We coralled it just after it killed and was eating a 45 cm green turtle.

Roy

Not good. If they grow as big as you say then we are in trouble. But - responsible LFS people who do know about keeping octos in uk sold it to me, knowing how big our tank is (about 50 US gallons I think). Until then I will enjoy it, and if it gets too big will find it a better home. But it looks happy as Larry at the mo. He is a joy to watch, and has survived the first 3 days in his new home, so there should be hope.

N&J,

Be interested in where you got your octo, perhaps as an inclusion in my website.

Feel free to PM if you can share.

Hi Mikey, We got him from our LFS, The Acquatic Centre Ltd in Bulcote, Nottinghamshire. They are supplied by TMC. They have been excellent sources of info. We set up our first (freshwater) tank through them, and when we fell in love with an Octo they had in stock they advised us about setting up a marine tank specifically for one, which has been an ongoing process since last October. This is our first marine tank, so its been a steep learning curve to say the least. However, I would recommend them highly, not least for their Cephalopod knowledge and ability to refuse to sell me things that I liked because they wouldn't be suitable for a Cephalopod tank, but also because they are very gentle with severely hungover customers on Sunday mornings, and can also tolerate stroppy 5yr olds!

We've had some peppermint shrimps (pretty red things) in the tank for ages now - waiting to be octo food :sad: , plus a few crabs of various sorts - mostly hitchhikers on live rock cos we never bought them. I reckoned that they would keep him going for a few days at least.

When he was in the LFS before we bought him he was eating freshwater shrimp (yes - i've seen the posts now about these not being nutritional enough for marine beasties) - about two per day. We bought a handful of these, and put them in our freshwater tank. I thought he would eat our peppermint shrimps and crabs first, and then I would start putting the freshwater shrimps in. The first day he ate nothing as far as I know, the second day I found the remnants of one of the weird nocturnal worm things that lives in the live rock, and the third day I found the antenna of a peppermint shrimp. I thought he was eating away at the peppermints, but tonight have dicovered that the rest of them are just hiding well! I put him a freshwater shimp in tonight and it lasted about 8 seconds before being devoured.

I have tried him on frozen (but defrosted) Krill and raw Tiger Prawn, but so far no joy - not sure what to try next :confused:

yeah the peppermint look like dead ones when they shed there skin dont they!!! had me that one!!!

when you do tiger prawn try defrostin in tank water and then squezzin the water in an out so the water in the prawn kinda gets replaced by tank water then squeeze all out this worked for my in gettin stuff more intrested

an poss dangle in tank on kebab stick or pinchers to get him to hunt??

Good idea about sqeezing the water out - i'll give it a go. Have already tried waving it about on a stick in front of him - but no interest. Will keep trying.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back