octosimpsons

sounds like a differently flavoured white russian.... might have to try it sometime, adjusted slightly...

just to raise the cephiness of the conversation, "mmmmmmmmm, squid"

:squid: :tentacle: :beer:

Feel free to vary as you wish, but only the recipes outlined previously are worthy of my name. I actually have not had a veronica in a long time, as I have become a social octo and have yet to convince my local favorite pub to serve them.
In other news
octopus
octopus
octopus
:octopus:

saw the futurama episode "leela's homeworld" and spotted another ceph scene (other than her mom having tentacles) leela dives into a lake that will mutate her, and comes out looking like cthulhu (lacking wings) but it turns out that she just had a big purple octo on her head (who used to be a little blonde girl)

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

WhiteKiboko said:
saw the futurama episode "leela's homeworld" and spotted another ceph scene (other than her mom having tentacles) leela dives into a lake that will mutate her, and comes out looking like cthulhu (lacking wings) but it turns out that she just had a big purple octo on her head (who used to be a little blonde girl)

Leela rocks! She is one of my favorite animated heroes. Aside from that cool cyclops eye, kick-ass attitude, and voice suspiciously reminiscent of MARRIED WITH CHILDREN's Peg Bundy (yeah, I know it's really Katey Sagal), her full name is actually an in-joke for classical music fans.

In the episode where she became the world's worst baseball player, you may remember that when she enters the stadium the announcer identifies her as "Turanga Leela". Believe it or not, this is a reference to the Turangalila (pronounced the same way) Symphony by 20th-century composer Olivier Messiaen -- a massive work which blends Hindu spirituality with modern sounds, featuring the rarely-used Ondes Martinot (an eerie-sounding electronic instrument similar to the Theremin).

Now for those of you who think I'm just showing off -- damn straight I am! :heee: However, someone I used to know owned a record of the Turangalila Symphony. (Record, what's that? Yep, I've dated myself again.) Anyway, I heard it a couple of times, and the name -- which I believe means "play of God" in Sanskrit -- stuck with me. Obviously the FUTURAMA writers thought they could slip that one past their viewers, but they didn't reckon on the extreme nerdiness of TONMO members, especially that of a were-squid often referred to by her friends as "Cliff Clavin".

Taningia "It's A Little-Known Fact That...." Danae

hey, im not ancient and i own records.... i was listening to frank on vinyl the other day.... although it was a tad odd when the sinatra ended and grateful dead came on.... :rainbow:

i think futurama has the most overeducated writing staff around (not that its a bad thing) even moreso than the simpsons.... i think they have one or two physics phds in there and probably a dose of ivy leaguers like simpsons, but that doesnt say much by itself (WK being one of those quite unimpressed with a name on a diploma - known many a rich moron) but it can often attract sharp minds....

i think i lost my focus a bit, but no big deal :smile:

someone who has never been in your kitchen,
WhiteKiboko

Re: octosimpsons

lithographette said:
Here in the 'Burque KASA Fox 2 gratefully braodcasts the Simpsons twice daily

bet you love the hungry, hungry homer episode... :smile:

because i am the mayor of Albuquerque

:smile:

WhiteKiboko said:
someone who has never been in your kitchen,
WhiteKiboko

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

WK, you are too good! I didn't think anyone still remembered that hysterical "Jeopardy" episode of CHEERS. (And I still think Cliffie should've gotten credit for his answer :P ) When Nick at Nite started running CHEERS again, I would sometimes be glued to the screen till the wee hours of the a.m. It got to the point where I knew some of the scripts by heart, but they never ceased to be funny. My friends and I used to get into prolonged discussions of who was the better comic actress, Shelley Long or Kirstie Alley (actually, I think Rhea Perlman had them both beat), and how Bebe Neuwirth managed to keep a straight face through the entire series (I would've loved to see some of her out-takes!).

Leaving out the great animated features such as SIMPSONS and FUTURAMA, CHEERS was IMHO one of the best sitcoms in the history of the medium -- right up there with newer ones such as SEINFELD and MARRIED WITH CHILDREN, older ones such as TAXI and ALL IN THE FAMILY, and really old ones such as I LOVE LUCY and THE HONEYMOONERS.

I even seem to recall a couple of uses of the word "squid" as an insult in CHEERS. I believe once when Carla had provoked Diane's anger once too often, Diane told her to "go mate with a squid". Another time it was Carla who referred to the CHEERS bar-flies contemptuously as "squids".

A great, great show -- I hope it never goes out of syndication.

Cheers,
Tani

The Simpsons seem to have a very special relationship with Abq - our new minor league baseball team, The Isotopes being named after that episode you mention WK. It caused quite a controversy in town as persons were deciding what to name the team, with citizens being split about 50/50 between "The Simpsons rocks and that would be awesome." and "Please, Albuquerque gets enough badmouthing without us naming our ballteam after a cartoon!"

I of course, was of the former camp! :notworth:

thats TOO funny.....might as well have a sense of humor, if i ever make it to NM, i might have to acquire some merchandise :smile: .... i dont care for the name of our new basketball team.... when they were looking for suggestions i thought 'the race' would be good, both with the heart of nascar and the nba's first minority owner, but i dont think they had the chutzpah to give it a try....if anyone couldve gotten away with it it wouldve been bob johnson.....

anyways.... just watched futurama episode "a head in the polls" (were nixon's head gets elected president - a personal fav) and fry gets repeatedly pummeled by a thought activated bed with "magic tentacles"

"Awrroooo, you women's libers really know how to party....."

WK

in the futurama episode, '300 big boys' dr zoidberg makes reference to being a squid....hes has done the same thing about being a lobster...

"one red lobster that wont ruin your dinner,"

WK

maybe hes a squibbon :smile: ..... i think the writers do it either to have a bit of flexibility with the jokes or to drive the uptight fans of the show nuts, or maybe both....

also, as opposed to posting this in the moby dick thread (in the den i believe) in the same episode, kif becomes covered in ambergris, much to the chagrin of the sick whale's keepers....

in the simpsons episode 'HOMR' (crayon up the nose) there is an octopus/parrot combination that says 'polly shouldnt be'

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back