• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octos keep dying

octo

well last night i did a huge water change and bleached the tufa rocks and scrubed the hell out of the tank and tide pool. i was thinking why did the bimac live in that same tank the others died in?and what about curpisorb would that take the rest of the copper out? and im running my ozone very high one that tank. after another water change do you guys think it will be safe then? and all the little copepods and brissle worms are still alive. maybe the other problem could be my home made denitrater made from pvc w/25 feet of hose going down then up through bio balls. thats how i got my nitrates down from 100ppm to 20ppm. any more thought before i get another? i dont want to kill himm. thanyou to all your help jimmy. and is there any thing i can use to scrub the wet-dry with that might help getting the copper out? im not a marine expert but something tells me its not the copper. but i trust your answers way befor mine thanks again.

jimmy 22;117162 said:
maybe the other problem could be my home made denitrater made from pvc w/25 feet of hose going down then up through bio balls. thats how i got my nitrates down from 100ppm to 20ppm.

It could have been your nitrates - 100 ppm is high for a cephalopod...

jimmy 22;117162 said:
well last night i did a huge water change and bleached the tufa rocks and scrubed the hell out of the tank and tide pool. i was thinking why did the bimac live in that same tank the others died in?and what about curpisorb would that take the rest of the copper out? and im running my ozone very high one that tank. after another water change do you guys think it will be safe then? and all the little copepods and brissle worms are still alive. maybe the other problem could be my home made denitrater made from pvc w/25 feet of hose going down then up through bio balls. thats how i got my nitrates down from 100ppm to 20ppm. any more thought before i get another? i dont want to kill himm. thanyou to all your help jimmy. and is there any thing i can use to scrub the wet-dry with that might help getting the copper out? im not a marine expert but something tells me its not the copper. but i trust your answers way befor mine thanks again.

Be sure that the bleach is neutralised before you reintroduce your tufa to the tank. I have very little faith in cuprisorb. If there was copper in the tank then personally I think the only solution for the wet/dry is to replace it. We've never had any luck with cleaning copper out of anything!

That nitrate level was awfully high and may have caused some issues, how old is your test kit? I'm wondering if it really did come down.

J

octo

test kit is about 3 months old. its a doc well fish brand api .if copper residuew is the propblem than why are the copapods and brissel worms and plants doing great? could it be the dentrate filter i built? i have the water just a drip a second it did lower the nitrate from 100 to 20 in 3 months. could that be the problem? the water coming out of the dnitrater has gases in it? the tank is full of clean cycled water but im afraid to put another octo in the tank. someone please help i did everything i thought could be the problem? thanyou all so much.

Some marine invertebrates and plants are quite tolerant of copper. Bristle worms in particular are known for their ability to live in quite polluted environments, some such as Capitella actually favour nutrient enriched (ie polluted ) habitats and show little effect of copper or other heavy metals.

J

i posted this in the wrong title. the reason for all the death was i had refugium mud in my shed not coverd but i rinsed it. but as soon as i took all the mud and sand out it lived and is eatind on his 2nd day. i thoght id never figure it out. after re glueing and rinsing and a million other things i finallt got it thanks to everyone w/there help.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back