• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus's food

Innuendo6

Hatchling
Registered
Hi guys, how's everyone doing?

I'm from Singapore and i would like to keep an octopus as a pet. i'm starting my research and planning phase and hopefully i can get it done in 2 months time.

i have some queries regarding feeding the octopus. i know octopus are marine creatures and their diet consist mainly of crustaceans and molluscs. my question is is it ok to feed them freshwater crabs, freshwater hermit crabs, shrimps, crayfish, and shellfish like cockles, clams, mussels?

i do not mean every day but maybe once in a while, is it ok?

There appears to be only a minimal difference in the types of fats between fresh and saltwater invertebrates. Food quality frozen shrimp are usually available in most countries so we have only tried a few of the freshwater variety as regular food items.

That being said, we have had excellent success with fiddler crabs (brackish water animals). Crayfish are recommended more for occasional use rather than everyday consumption but there have been reports of excellent success using freshwater shrimp for young/small animals. I don't remember anyone anyone has trying freshwater clams/mussels and would limit these offerings.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back