Octopus Wolfi (star sucker octopus) Wülker, 1913

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
See octosquid.io for photos and video

octosquid.io_O.wolfi.jpg

octosquid.io (with permission): Octopus wolfi is an incirrate octopus found in Okinawa, Japan, and throughout the Indo-Pacific, including the Phillipines, Thailand, and Australia. It is a tropical to sub-tropical pygmy species that lives in the endless cranies and crevices of shallow water coral reefs. It is one of the smallest octopuses in the world, with an adult body size of 45 mm.

Last edited:
@GPO87, I started to use that one too. Octosquid.io has other great photos and some video on Facebook and I need to follow. Very positive about my request to post (acutally, post, notify and obtain permission :biggrin2:)

We find Octopus wolfi in Moorea, Indonesia and Australia living in rubble near the reef crest. It is fairly common to a depth of 2-3 m, but is found deeper. Only adult males have the stellate suckers. During mating the male mounts the female as happens in some other pygmy octopuses such as blue-rings and Octopus chierchiae. The first image below is a female, the second a male. "Mating" here is between two males.

Roy

O wolfi female a small.jpg
Owolfimalestellatemed.jpg
Owolfimatinglow.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back