• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus venom

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
The bluering is special in that it has a different venom to most octos - in that it can kill you. Most(if not all other?) octos have a toxin know as cephalotoxin (spelling?), that knocks out prey when they "spit" it at them.
Cephalotoxin sounds rather generic to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few variations in the chemical/s used between species.

One reason I think this is because O. Rubescens seems to have a very strong bite, even when compared to much larger octopuses.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Good stuff there ! To answer you quickly, yes, all octos have venom of some sort, differing in toxicity not only by species, but also by location. The dwarf varieties seem to have a tendency to have more potent venoms than the larger types, but most are not able to inflict a fatal bite on a human being.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
cthulhu77 said:
Good stuff there ! To answer you quickly, yes, all octos have venom of some sort, differing in toxicity not only by species, but also by location. The dwarf varieties seem to have a tendency to have more potent venoms than the larger types, but most are not able to inflict a fatal bite on a human being.

BUT it is possible to be allergic to the bite..........anyone with a seafood allergy should be extra careful!

J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
if you search forums on "blue ring" you'll get a lot more info, too, by the way... the toxin details have been discussed on a number of threads.:bluering:

Thanks guys, about tetrodotoxin I know enought, I'm medicine student.
But thanks for the link and for answer the first question I have did.
Cheers
Carles

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan