• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Toys

I've always assumed that the eye bar was a way of masking the pupil so it looks more like a shadow, and makes it harder to pick out.

The fact that it was displayed during the presence of an annoying person and not when the feeding person was present does not negate the intent to disguise the eye. It appears to be more of a use of that disguise technique that can suggest mood.

Jennifer Mather's experiment was to see if an octopus could recognize individuals. The observation of the eye bar was used as a key to proving this. If you don't see it everytime you approach or it goes away, no harm done, we all annoy them from time to time :wink: What might be interesting to watch for is what you are doing or have in your hand that might activate the look. I think cameras probably do this, initially. It is watching for little signs like this and seeing a consistency/change over time and animals that most interests me to try to get recorded in the journals. Photos are particularly helpful because we don't always notice paticular coloration but can go back and observe, "what REALLY happens".

Stickers, yes - not sure if harmful, if not it would be a cool thing to observe.

To the point here some of this is a bit worrisome - Paul imitators will surely be experimenting with foreign objects in tanks and if not carefully researched could cause harm to the ceph.

Way back when, Carol found that Legos were a great toy for her bimac. Has anyone tried putting a few connected Lego pieces in a tank? Would be interesting to see whether, after disassembling them a few times, it might not try to put them back together...

Tony, I don't think anyone has put assembled lego constructions into their octo tank recently, but one early poster who had kept many octopuses really liked to give them lego toys that he had made up and assembled himself, like submarines. Yes, they took his toys apart.

Nancy

Nancy;160105 said:
Tony, I don't think anyone has put assembled lego constructions into their octo tank recently, but one early poster who had kept many octopuses really liked to give them lego toys that he had made up and assembled himself, like submarines. Yes, they took his toys apart.

Nancy

I am intrigued :smile: I have to try this with Diablo. I just have to get out to buy some legos. Hmm do lego blocks float?

The mega block that Carol has used with most of her octos (two learning to ride it) did so I assume the smaller ones will (I know the black octopus they have does not).

My 8 year old was wondering if an octopus would play with a Barbie - she said it would have to be naked because she wouldn't want the octopus to eat the clothes by mistake. Anyone want to try? It would be a great photo - octopus eating Barbie... Otherwise she will just have to wait until I get a new tank and an octopus (which could be a while...).

Joe-Ceph;159827 said:
Does a Rubix Cube use stickers on each cube surface, and if so, is the adhesive tank safe? Do they have any lubrication that might be toxic? Any metal parts down inside?

Personally I think watching an octopus play with a Rubik cube could be interesting but depends on the octopus. But from experience (I've taken them apart) the Rubik cube has no accessible metal parts. As for the stickers if the octopus is color blind anyways couldn't you take them off and clean the adhesive off with say vinegar or some other safe product?

Just a follow up because i wanted to check. I took my rubik's cube apart today and i could not get to any metal pieces. There might be a spring or two in the very center but i cant even see them let alone get to them, because the center piece is all linked together. When disassembled it looks like this. Also there is no lubrication inside its all dry. Least on mine, but Ive had it for a while, so not sure on a brand new one.

Attachments

• conv_297136.jpg
    conv_297136.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 258
  • conv_297137.jpg
    conv_297137.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 269

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back