Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I just received my pre-ordered copy of Octopus: The Ocean’s Intelligent Invertebrate by Jennifer A. Mather, Roalnd C. Anderson, and our own TONMO.com staff member, James B. Wood. Congratulatioins to James and the other authors!

This is a nice looking book, 208 pages long with a 32-page color photo section in the center. Subtitled “A Natural History”, the book is organized in this way:

Preface
Acknowledgements

Introduction: Meet the Octopus
In the Egg
Driftingt and Settling
Making a Living
In the Den
Getting Around
Appearances
Not Getting Eaten
Personalities
Intelligence
Sex at Last
The Rest of the Group
Postscript: Keeping a Captive Octopus

References
Index

There's a section on keeping a captive octopus. TONMO.com is mentioned among helpful internet chat groups.

I’ve just had time to read bits of various chapters – interesting, seems to be written for the general public, lots of anecdotes in side bars, (small articles inside larger ones). Looks like Tonmo members would enjoy reading this.

Nancy

I got my copy of Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate yesterday too and am half way through. So far I am enjoying the read and the laymen biology lesson. Since I am about to experience an egg hatching, I wish there was more on successful hatchling raising but for most readers this section is beneficial just to understand the process.

I just got mine, too. :read: it looks great so far, kudos to the authors!

Made this sticky and tweeted it - thanks Nancy! Congrats Dr. James and your co-authors!

Roy - uh-oh - sounds like a good catch, but that's too bad! Downside of print... :rolleyes:

hummm, you may need another tank ...

I finished Intelligent Invertebrate last night. The book answers a lot of biological questions we see asked on the site and is a good read for anyone interested in what is going on with their animal over its life time without losing the lay person in scientific terms. It is a nice collection of ideas and articles I have had to dig for and recommend it to any long term keeper.

hummm, you may need another tank ...
Way ahead of you. :wink:
Remember the 75g curved glass bullnose room divider I mentioned? It will be mine on Sunday! Octopus tank someday...

Attachments

• conv_296391.jpg
    conv_296391.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 154
So jealous! We thought and thought about where to put one. One too late warning is you will not like cleaning it. My 145 is my cleaning nightmare. The height and my arm length (and I am not a short person) fight every week.

Thank you for the kind words about our new book on Octopuses. Roy, gets the prize for finding the first "Whoops!"

TONMO members are always welcome to email me at jamesbwood 2000 @ gmail.com (remove all 3 spaces) with questions.

James

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back