• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus Supplies Help

Jasper

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
My current (updated) plan is to move my clownfish into a smaller tank, and have my 55 gallon tank be only for the octopus. My current tank is able to handle the ammonia from my two (small-ish) clownfish. I would greatly appreciate it if you could link the posts that go through cycling to prepare for an octopus.
I appreciate all the help!
(also, do you know any places in the Boston area that have the Eheim sumps? The website isn't shipping at the moment)

pkilian

GPO
Staff member
Here is a link to a section on our forum that has "key links" to popular and well thought-out threads with great information on a wide variety of topics. Take a look through some of these and if you have more specific questions that aren't answered there I'll be happy to help.

It looks like amazon has some EHEIM sumps, and I'm sure you can find a similar product if you call your local fish shop and ask if they have any all-in-one sumps for 55 gallon aquariums. You may also want a protein skimmer for your tank but I have less experience with octopuses on small systems so I am unsure if it is necessary.

@DWhatley @Nancy Do you have any advice for an octopus on a 55 gal system in regards to protein skimmers? Do you recommend one or do you think they will be okay without?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, you do need a protein skimmer for an octopus in a 55 gallon tank.
Octopuses are messy eaters, much more than clownfish, and the protein skimmer will help with the water quality.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Do you have any advice for an octopus on a 55 gal system in regards to protein skimmers? Do you recommend one or do you think they will be okay without?
Agree with @Nancy , a skimmer is highly desirable -- in a sump. For reasonably priced, hobbyist efficient designs look a the Coralife brand. For other brands, always buy double the rated capacity, with the Coralife you can get away with 1.5 (or even slightly less) x the gallon rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak