• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus recommendation for 90g

Raul Fletes

Hatchling
Registered
I have a 90g tank, it's been up & running for exactly one year as off last week. I had a octopus bimaculoides in the begging but sadly it passed away months ago, know I had a 1/10 hp chiller keeping the water at 72° Fahrenheit when I had the octo. But living in southern California which is always hot and no air conditioning or insulation in my bedroom meant the chill was always running, blowing hot air and making noise while I slept. My question is, what octopus would you guys recommend for a 90g but that is a tropical species so my chiller isn't running 24/7 and is diurnal?

Tough break... bimacs are amazing.... there are other candidates and that's a nice-sized tank -- I'll let the experienced folks weigh in!

If you are running a chiller full time to keep it at 72 in the summer, you will probably still have it running a good bit of the time trying to keep it at 76-78 for most warm water species but a simple fan and lots of top offs may help. If you can locate (the hard part) an O. hummelincki (Caribbean) or A. aculeatus (Indonesian) they will meet your diurnal requirements. O. briareus (Caribbean) is also a good choice if you would be happy with a more crepuscular (early evening, early morning hunter) animal. Here is a post that summarized info on the most commonly available species.

That you D! I guess it's a gamble when it comes to Octo's, and I could easily go catch a bimac myself I live 20 minutes from the beach to bad i cant have a cold water tank. Is there any online retailers you could recommend for an octo or should I just go to my LFS?

I use KPAquatics for my Caribbeans but they don't catch them intentionally unless there is a waiting list and they happen across one that they feel will ship well so the wait can be long. Usually their larger animals are O. briareus but they occasionally find O. hummelincki (ET is from KP). They are a young couple that do their own diving but do trade locally with other vendors.

Before the buyout by PetCo, Live Aquaria often had A. aculeatus but their bali/Indonesian animals sometimes arrive as a smaller, nocturnal look alike or a hardy red nocturnal we think is Callistoctopus aspilosomatis. Since the change in management, we have see fewer octos from them but it is a place to watch and sign up for their mailing list (if you sign up, be sure to check and decide immediately, they go fast). Checking the site, it appears they are only offering Atlantic pygmies (likely O. mercatoris) -- out of stock -- and don't even list the Indonesian options.

Ebay also used to be a hit or miss option when smaller collectors would sell octopuses but, again, this source is rarer now.

Lastly, you and "watch" the Sources for Cephalopods forum for postings by members (and post there yourself if you happen upon a source).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back