• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Q & A

Thanks so much for all your great answers. I will get a Damsel or something similar to cycle my tank with, my only concern is i'll have no where to put it once I get an octo! I won't be hasty and get an octopus as soon as the tank is cycled, I will wait untill I fully understand everything involved.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Is it true that you can keep starfish and sea cucumbers with your octo and they will be fine? If you can would you be able to just buy a couple of those and let it cycle with them, or do you need fish? Would the cucumbers crush up the sand into a finer grade that would be better for the octo?

I wouldn't add any living creatures until the ammonia levels are at 0. I'd wait about 6 weeks after initial setup, then add something to jump start the biological filtration.

shipposhack;80857 said:
Is it true that you can keep starfish and sea cucumbers with your octo and they will be fine? If you can would you be able to just buy a couple of those and let it cycle with them, or do you need fish? Would the cucumbers crush up the sand into a finer grade that would be better for the octo?

We keep stars but not cucumbers with ours. The cucumbers have a distressing tendency to toss out their alimentary tract if harassed............very hard on your filters!

I don't think stars or cucs will be enough to cycle your tank. As for what to do with a fish once your tank has cycled? Check with your LFS often they'll take them back........or perhaps you have a friend with a tank who would appreciate a donation?

Cheers

J

Octopodes can only sense very low frequencies-- below about 20Hz.
Just don't put a subwoofer underneath the tank, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Elron

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back