Octopus & Propaganda

largetentaclesnarcos_excelsior.gif

From As Blood Flows, U.S. Gets Serious About the Battle for Mexico

The Most Popular Sea Creature in Cartography
The ominous octopus is a key figure on many propaganda maps.
Atlas Obscura Lauren Young JULY 18, 2016

Many animals have been used in cartography to represent countries or landmarks, but one in particular has developed a stranglehold: the menacing, tentacled octopus. ...

Contains a series of images and explanations.

Shared with permission of Mark Bryan (artist)
Yes, please do. I had reservations about using this metaphor since octopuses are such amazing creatures. The image was inspired by the famous Thomas Nast cartoon about Standard Oil. I tried to call it a Kraken which fits well with the idea I was trying to get across. Unfortunately Krakens are traditionally portrayed as an octopus like creature. My apologies to octopuses everywhere. It wouLd be nice if you could include this explanation with the image. Thanks!
OctopusPropogandaTrump.jpg

Octopuses and Ottonians: Biological Systems as Models for Decentralized Medieval Government Laura Wangerin

[edit] Multiple TONMO members works cited to reinforce the use of the octopus as a model. -- DWhatley

Abstract What can octopuses teach us about history? And what did the Ottonians, the tenth-century Saxon dynasty that established and ruled the Holy Roman Empire, have in common with them? This essay is a thought experiment, postulating ways that history and biology might provide fresh insights into aspects of history that have proved elusive to historians operating within traditional historical investigative methodologies. The biological systems of octopuses, including neurobiological and physiological systems, have been used as models to inform design in a range of modern organizational applications such as US Homeland Security systems and the information self-structuring of semiautonomous robots. This article suggests that the biological systems of octopuses may also provide models for understanding the architecture of a premodern decentralized government, that of the Ottonians.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back