Octopus & Propaganda

ummm... having trouble keeping up with the story line, is this the climax of the story, where's the rising action??? 8)
clem, ying-yang my brother.. :yinyang:

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
o.vulgaris said:
ummm... having trouble keeping up with the story line, is this the climax of the story, where's the rising action???

O.,

A small topical digression stalled over the thread, I'm afraid. It's my fault, I never should have mentioned food.

I'm trying to find one of the more famous octopus in propaganda, a WWII poster depicting Imperial Japan as an enormous cephalopod taking in Southeast Asia and reaching for Australia. Sound familiar?

:?:

Clem

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
'fraid not Clem, but it sure sounds interesting. Should you find it then a copy online (copyright?) would be interesting.

Food ... now there's a thought. Off to the golden arches.

Steve O'Shea said:
'fraid not Clem, but it sure sounds interesting. Should you find it then a copy online (copyright?) would be interesting.

Food ... now there's a thought. Off to the golden arches.

Excellent idea, mate, and while you're there please have a Kiwi Burger for me. (We can't get them here, you know.... :cry: )

o.vulgaris said:
ummm... having trouble keeping up with the story line, is this the climax of the story....

Nah, that was just the entrée -- the climax is dessert, for which you have a choice of chocolate mousse, mango sorbet, or tiramisú. Kindly inform your waiter, Stephen, of your selection, and don't forget to leave him a generous tip -- he's saving up for a Neil Diamond t-shirt.

:biggrin2:

Clem said:
I'm trying to find one of the more famous octopus in propaganda, a WWII poster depicting Imperial Japan as an enormous cephalopod taking in Southeast Asia and reaching for Australia. Sound familiar?

:?:

Clem
Clem, I recall seeing a poster similar to the one you describe but i'm no sure, you could give the link to the pic, that won't violate any copyright issues...Will it?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
O.,

Yikes. That "Feathered Octopus" illustration is really something; the old pulp fiction magazines had some terrific illustrators. As for the Satanic octopus, well, some octopus are red, and their arms have occasionally been described as "horns" in pre-modern texts. Fishermen in the Sea of Cortez call Dosidicus gigas, the Humboldt squid, "The Red Devil," and cephs have long been lumped together under the "devilfish" name (along with large rays).

Clem

o.vulgaris said:
I seriouslly took the time to read this article, was interesting, might be a bit boring but since when is the octopus satan????
clearly to christian's their share a similarity, weird.

Not so, o.v. First of all, the language in the article comparing the Octo to an evil force was purely metaphorical. It simply referred to the multiplicity and flexibility of arms (I've heard the metaphor also used to describe political movements and business monopolies). Secondly, I have a netpal who is a hard-line Traditionalist Catholic, and while we may disagree on how Archis got here (creation ex nihilo vs. creation via evolution), we both think they are some of God's most beautiful, extraordinary, and majestic creations.

:rainbow:
Peace and blessings,
Tani

Latest Posts