Octopus & Propaganda

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
When I was six or seven years old, I went to New York City with my family and saw the World Trade Center for the first time. I remember the vertiginous feeling that came with looking up at the towers, and the thrill of looking down from the observation deck. I clambered on the spherical bronze sculpture in the plaza, too. The strangest thing I saw in the plaza was a tabletop display, in protest of something or other, comprising two dead, rotting octopus. Every arm was curled around or resting atop some object of significance, though what the significance of each object was is anyone's guess. Coins, a key, form letters, an old weekly newspaper, beads, hand cream, a disposable lighter, all meaning something to the woman behind the table, but all I could see were dead animals. I felt pity for them. Perhaps that was the point.

So, to those who've wondered where this peculiar interest of mine started, it started at the World Trade Center.

Clem

michelle

Hatchling
Registered
Russian Natural Gas Octopuses

Two recent octopus political cartoons relating to the natural gas dispute between Russia and Ukraine. The first shows the Russian Prime Minister Putin as the octopus controlling the natural gas pipes as the Russian government owns the controlling share of Gazprom (the supplier compant). So, it required the governments permission to cut off supplies to the Ukraine. The second shows Gazprom with European citizens in its grip. Again with the pipe limb (I'm not sure what's with the hat though).

More Info: http://www.vulgararmy.com/a/russiangasoctopu/

CREDITS:-----------
PISMESTROVIC (2009), Kleine Zeitung (via CartoonArts International / The New York Times Syndicate), Graz, Austria, 08 Jan 2009, http://www.cartoons.nytimages.com/portal/wieck_preview_page_147705 (Accessed: 10 Jan 2009)

SCHOT (2009), NRC Handelsblad (via CartoonArts International / The New York Times Syndicate), Rotterdam, Netherlands, 07 Jan 2009 http://www.cartoons.nytimages.com/portal/wieck_preview_page_147642(Accessed 10th Jan 2009)

Attachments

• conv_293710.jpg
    conv_293710.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 216
  • conv_293711.jpg
    conv_293711.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 211

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Pfffft... Arthropod sympathizer.

Let her movement fail, as it was destined to. We shall start a new one to replace and (as is only fitting) consume her and her ilk.

True cephalopodists* will be triumphant because of their purity of essence!

(Not an application, just relearning propagandese..)

* Though awkward, cephalopodist is a better choice in situations that may lead to flyting as it is easier linked to foot doctors rather than child molesters....

Stavros

GPO
Registered
What about some positive propaganda?

From my tribe - "people of the sea", many years ago.

a_1580.gif

p_2610.gif

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I forgot which Brit rag this was in...

Attachments

• conv_298330.jpg
    conv_298330.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 263