• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Proofing a Red Sea Max 250

It is likely too heavy for a merc to move but unless it is very stable, it may shift during cleaning. For any other octo I would suggest adding support but if it does not easily tip (front to back, it looks fine side to side) then I should be OK. If you end up with a larger species, then I would rethink supporting it (note the size of the rocks Cassy moved and pulled through the 6" tubes even after she was quite weak). You can put smaller pieces in the tank but you need to secure them so they won't roll or fall down if something shifts. Mercs really don't get very rambunctious.

I would have torn down the clown tank as well and just had the Octo tank, but ...
MTS has no known cure.:wink:

That's what I was going for all Large heavy pieces with support on all sides so none of them could pull it on top of each other.

Now I'm curious on shells. I have a box full of shells. All shapes and sizes. I know brooding females tend to pull them up as doorways and I was curious if they would den in the as well, like they do with barnacles? I was gonna maybe attach a few of them into a barnacle look and see if I could get them to den it it if the rock isn't sufficient enough. I was hoping to get them to maybe den in the large conch shell, as it is very large lots of room, and I have a very old clam shell in there near it to be used as a door. :wink: You can see them on the right side of the tank.

The snails are going crazy in the large tank. We sprung a leak in one of the tanks and I took out the large snails and stuck them in the 65 for an emergency and was going to move the back into the 29g, but we're still in the process of finishing up the Octo Proofing, and the skimmer fine tuning. Doesn't hurt to have a spare emergency tank.

I bought 2 Tunze 9002 off ebay used, and the sellers modified the magnets. one worked for a while but then started spewing water everywhere the other day, hence the leak, and ruined one of the hoods on the 29g's. I hooked one up and ran to the store for some more shrimp for the Lobster,came back and husband said it was spewing everywhere. Hood is worthless now. We don't know how to put in a whole new electrical unit to put lights back in it.

I gutted the 29g for parts, and listed it on craigslist. I tossed the Tunze in the basement. I'll most likely throw them out. Not a chancing them, and would not feel right selling/giving them to someone and have their house go up in smoke. I heard nothing but great reviews on them, but mine were modified. So that could be wht happened, but I will not take the chance on getting another one.

I bought one of those JBJ Nano Skimmers, last year, and let me tell you it works better then the Tunze 9002's that I bought, and hasn't sprung a leak ever. So I put it back in the clown 29g where it was to begin with.

JBJ Skimmer

I took out the bottom grate piece in the middle section and I use LR chunks in there, and it holds it in place, and skimmer perfectly and you can close the lid so less water evaporation. Only downfall is buying the wooden air things, which most of my LFS stopped carrying them, norm only have the stone ones, but I don't mind safer then the Tunze's I bought.

Week #4

What a wonderful vacation @ Fort Leonard Wood Mo. I took my mother with us to see my son's Graduation from the Army on April 7th. Wonderful ceremony! I'm so darn proud of him. I didn't think he could handle it, because he hates being told what to do. Boy was I surprised, they really changed him in a matter of 10 weeks. He's in Fort Lee, Va now. We're already planning a weekend down there to. It's at least closer to us. Fort Leonard Wood took us 13 hours one way, and Fort Lee is only gonna take us about 5 hours. So Looking forward to the trip.

Back to the tank action.

Everything seems fine in the RSM 250. Parameters are fine, except the darn Nitrates are staying at 5. GRRR We had a bit of a scare while we were away. The tank temp got to 77.3, and it was at a steady 75 before we left, but my daughter didn't turn on the Central air in the house while we were gone. So that's what I'm guessing. I didn't think to tell her before we left, but I made a cheat sheet and taped it to the wall for when we ever go anywhere again. Temp, tank feeding days and times, taught her how to test the water, etc....

I should have been on top of it before we left, but we were so excited to go see him graduate, it slipped my mind about the tank temp. Cause it was staying at a steady 75, till it got really warm that weekend. I'm looking into a chiller now finally. I wanted to wait till after the graduation, before I dipped into tank money. You never know what could happen emergency wise. So take a tip if no one else has advised it yet, and make a Cheat Sheet for your tank sitters.

I put the Mushroom rock in, and a few other corals. They seem to be doing fine. I'll be doing a scrub down tonight I can't stand looking at any kind of algae in there at all. I'm also headed to the LFS to get Brittle stars, and urchins for some algae cleaners and excess food eaters. Not sure what else is going to be safe in the tank with an Octo or a Cuttlefish, but glad I have more then one tank for emergencies. :smile: MTS

I'll take some photos this weekend, I'm still unloading photos from the graduation. I'm a bit of a Picture addict. lol

Just wanted to post a quickie to let everyone know I'm still here. Just been quit busy lately.

An update on the tank. It's still thriving very well. Better then I expected for a 2-3 month old tank.

I just picked up a AQUA LOGIC CYCLONE DROP IN AQUARIUM FISH TANK CHILLER ONLY USED for 6 Mo. for $175. An amazing deal. 1.5 hp. It's made for a 120g tank, but I only have a 66g. :sagrin: But a pretty one at that. The chiller is in the basement now being tested on one of my older tanks, to make sure it's working correctly. I didn't want to stick it in the tank till I tested it. Better safe then sorry.

This is the model I got. AQUA LOGIC CYCLONE

Here is a quick shot of the tank now. I am tearing down and moving one of the 29's so using the RSM as a temporary home for some corals, and my Percula's.

Now the only thing left is to cut the Plexi-glass to fit the top of the tank, so that the only opening is the vent for the filtration.

Well off to bed, It's gonna be a LONG day tomorrow. Daughter's Prom is at 4, so we have to get makeup nails and hair done by 4. Boy's are easy, get a tux, choose color of the cumber bun, and tie, and that's it. With girls its the dress, makeup, hair, nails, & jewelry. Boys have it so easy. :lol:

Attachments

• conv_298345.jpg
    conv_298345.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 152

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back