Octopus Pot Mystery

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
TONMO visitor Tom Pitchford reached out and wanted to share the following - input & discussion welcome!

Hi Tony,

I am a biologist in Florida. Attached are photographs of a particular type of octopus pot (link attached) that I have found washed up on the beach near St Augustine Florida (Northeast FL coast). I am wondering if you can help me learn where this type of pot is fished? Could it be anywhere? Is the brand/type a clue? There is no local fishing for octopus that I am aware of.

The traps on the beach are always battered, encrusted and without concrete ballast, ground, or buoy lines. I have six of them now and they wash up in other parts of Florida as well. Currents could be bringing them from the Gulf of Mexico or elsewhere in the world. Can you shed any light on this apparent mystery?

Thanks for any advice! --Tom Pitchford

Link to Korean supplier of octopus traps very similar to those washing ashore on Florida’s Atlantic coast.

Octopus Trap(id:2826281) Product details - View Octopus Trap from Bukyung - EC21

Hi Tony, since writing to you I have viewed a YouTube video of octopus trap fishing with the same style plastic traps as I have found on St Augustine beach. The video is from Spain. Were you able to post my inquiry on your excellent forum? I still want to learn more if possible.

Thank you. –Tom

Quite a collection! Anyone in the community have more info on known places where this technique is used?

Attachments

• conv_304546.jpg
    conv_304546.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 315
  • conv_304548.jpg
    conv_304548.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,388

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back