• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Octopus Paxarbolis encounter 01/04/2007

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
I was lucky enough to see one of these rare creatures :razz: over the weekend. Managed to shoot one pic before it camouflaged itself.

Now I need to find a sea badger!:smile:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
When you think about exactly how rare these elusive creatures are, your photograph is the more remarkable!!!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Be careful though, those glowing eyes suggest he was about to pounce! They have been known (rarely!) to form unhealthy attachments to camera lenses!!!!

J

the funny thing is out of the few of this species ive ever encountered they always match their surroundings with exquisite camoflauge techniques. this one seems to be defying the typical elusive pattern and going with the hey look at me and photograph me pattern. i wonder if this is any sign of them being more intelligent about their surroundings than previously thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak