• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Overnight Shipping (Octopus Prime's new home)

We helped move a 65 across town by dumping most of the water into buckets, packing the LR in wet newspaper and keeping the corals and fish in their own water and leaving the sand with as little water as we could easliy drain. This allowed the sand not to shift about (the setup was over 10 years old so stirring it could have been a real problem). The whole process took maybe 5 hours from dump to refil and everything survived.

dwhatley;119526 said:
We helped move a 65 across town by dumping most of the water into buckets, packing the LR in wet newspaper and keeping the corals and fish in their own water and leaving the sand with as little water as we could easliy drain. This allowed the sand not to shift about (the setup was over 10 years old so stirring it could have been a real problem). The whole process took maybe 5 hours from dump to refil and everything survived.

wow! that sounds like quite a feat

Keith;119288 said:
I just moved into a new apartment and i'm currently setting up for an octo. I'm not planing on staying here any longer than my lease requires me to (its a friggin studio). And i'm planning on just moving to a bigger apartment in the same complex, so pretty much the most i'd need is transportation for around 500 feet to the next building over. Any recommendations? Mikewise's plan sounds pretty cheap and not very time consuming, but do I need more than a bag with some O2?

-Keith

very cool! i was in exactly the same place one year ago. I had been reading about octopuses here for a few months and was just getting ready to take the plunge and commit to all the reading, learning and buying that was going to be entailed. I know i was a little foolhardy, but Octopus Prime was not only my first ceph, but also my first saltwater tank.

I learned so much from the experience and it was so worthwhile. But all i can say is don't rush things or cut corners. Read everything you can and consult people you trust, while being willing to disregard others :roflmao:

The lease thing crossed my mind at the beginning, but i knew i would work it out. Dont worry about it too much, but remember that moving a tank, especially if you still have livestock, ESPECIALLY if you have an emotional attachment to the livestock, is really really hard. Since i couldnt break my tank down before i shipped OP to D, and the shipping took place only a few days before my move, I ended up having to give away about a $1000 worth of equipment, because i couldnt find anyone who wanted to buy the LR, LS, tank etc. even with the rock priced at $2/pound. I ended up giving it all to someone who was starting his first marine tank, so that charitable cirle-of-life feeling kicked in a little, but damn. I would definitely reccommend starting the process a good month before you actually plan on moving. I really lost out because i waited too long.

for a move across town, the complicated drilling, bagging and boxing would not be so necessary, as others have pointed out. all the stuff i went through was to prepare OP for being shipped via UPS air. I dare say that is a bit further from an octo.'s environment of evolutionary adaptedness than being moved in a bucket 500 ft. The main concern with that kind of move, as the others have mentioned, is trying to leave you tank undisturbed enough as not to cause an ammonia spike. I've never attempted it, but it sounds really hard.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back