Octopus Off The Coast Of South Carolina

bobby a.

Cuttlefish
Registered
Was wondering if I could get some help identifying this octopus. The facts are as follows:

Caught off the coast of South Carolina (Mcclennanville, SC)
Current Water Temp Off The Coast 72F
Caught in Shrimpers Net
Mantel Size Aprox: 5-6inches
Full Stretch Size: 16-18 inches
Nocturnal
Color Changes: Clear, Brown, Blood Red, Rock Green
Texture Changes: Small Bumps

Pictures
admin edit 2021: the URLs above no longer exist

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I need to research what octopuses are found off the coast of S. Carolina. Possibly vulgaris?

Are you keeping it? Should I add your octopus to the List of Our Octopuses?

Nancy
ok first off can i just say that i live in charleston and have been trying to catch an octo here for years unsuccessfully...

its more than likely a vulgaris thats what we have here mostly or it could possibly be a joubini. if you dont mind me asking howed you catch him and where? i go flounder gigging all the time and have never seen one. ive heard of people catching them at the jetties off charleston but i never have. also if its easy for you to catch them, would you mind catching me one?

Upvote 0
The octopus was caught Saturday off the SC coast.

A few weeks ago my friend and I went to a few local bait shops in search for food for another octopus. In Murrels Inlet and Georgetown both you can find a lot of cool fisherman/shrimpers. On numerous occasions the ship captains stated that they occasionally come across octopus, squid and various other fish. Most get caught in their nets and get tossed back. We now have a small netowork of people who call us on occasion if they catch anything that may be of interest to us. The catch is we have to be able to come and claim it at a moments notice.

I would recommend doing the same down in Charleston. Or if you want PM me with contact and interest and if we ever come acorss something again we can stay in touch.

Upvote 0
gotcha... i was just wondering if it was caught in a hand net before the baiting season ended....

i do wonder, keeping in mind the speed of the trawls if the TEDs reduce adult octo bycatch....

in my experience, the shrimpers are a fairly cooperative lot... if there might happen to be an incentive for the on top of it, theyre moreso....

Upvote 0
I need to research what octopuses are found off the coast of S. Carolina. Possibly vulgaris?

Are you keeping it? Should I add your octopus to the List of Our Octopuses?

Nancy

Upvote 0
Solution

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back