• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Mercatoris

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hello, I just bought an Octopus Aculeatus from Live aquaria about a month ago and am hooked on cephalopod keeping I am now thinking about keeping the Octopus Mercatoris in another tank( maybe two), do you have any idea where I can buy this species?

Unfortunately, we have not seen many mercs in the last couple of years. When we do see them they are usually listed as O. joubini or a Caribbean dwarf octopus so use all three terms when looking on-line or speaking to someone.

The most common place to find them in the past was through Tom's Caribbean Tropicals. Usually these are brought to him as bicatch from the crabbing and lobster industry. Tom has limited his business in the last couple of years (you will note on the site that it is for sale) so it is best to call Tom and not rely on the website. Sometimes he will add a name to a waiting list if he thinks he will be getting new animals soon.

Another "sometimes" source is KPAquatics.com (use www.SealifeInc.net as their new site is not yet functional). They don't stock them but you can email or call to be put on a waiting list.

Another, shot in the dark is to call south FL collectors or pet stores that specialize in marine animals. Be aware though that if one of the pet stores has a locally caught octopus that they are willing to ship, they may not know the species.

Yep, too good to be true. Several of us have called him in the past. At one point he "moved" out of FL but the information is sketchy. No one has ever received an octopus from this supplier but several have tried. I don't think anyone lost money so the intent was not to be fraudulent but the site has not been updated or maintained in years.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back