[Featured]: Octopus living in groups and more stuff

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Good night Matt, I hope this ends up better than it sounds. When you feel like you can expand on the event some, I know all of us would like some of the details since we know about the bends but most of us never actually know anyone who has been effected. I rarely dive and when I do it is usually pretty shallow (30 - 40 feet) and the deepest I ever recall going was 62 feet (~2 pressure depths). The amount of time I spend in the water and at those depths don't require slow decompression so exhaling going up is my only thought.

Oh man so sorry to hear that! I know exactly what you are going through. Happened to me when I was 18 working as a commercial diver. I still dive all the time, and have had no problem since.

HI Guys
thanks for the concern .

i dive on a regular basis , and am in a community of divers so i personally know 3 divers who have been bent , 2 of those divers were diving quite conservative tables and no deco dives. .
when i think back to the profile of the day when i got bent i can see a number of factors that contributed. and when i list them it seems pretty scary
i m just gonna honestly relate what happened .

1. reverse profile , dive 1 17m ... dive 2 37m
2. dehydration , i did not really drink much water the morning of the dive , a coffie with brekky , and a can of diet soda between dives .
3. and the thing that i think was the main contributing factor , when i got to the bottom on the 2nd dive , there was current so i worked hard swiming at depth, i really felt like i was doing it hard , sucked through a fair bit of air during the 12mins i was on the bottom , therefore taking on a lot of Nitrogen.

what i did do
dive 1 nitrox 28%
dive 2 nitrox 26%

1st dive well within NDL
2nd dive 3mins within NDL

4 min safety stop on 1st dive

on 2nd dive
1 min at half my max depth
2 mins at 12 m
1 min at 9 m
5 mins at 5 m

when i surfaced from 2nd dive i felt like i had worked hard during the dive ,
shoulder felt funny/ itchy with 10 mins of the 2nd dive . and later when i looked noted a red mottled apearence , and soreness later on in joint.

what i will do if i am passed for diving again .
dive on nitrox , on Air tables
get a Pee valve in my dry suit and a Fly in my wetsuit
and drink at least 1litre of water the morning before i go diving .
be prepared to abort the dive if current is strong and im working hard
dive shallower

at the chamber the staff were great , they took it all in their stride , , gotta say its not much fun being in a metal POT for 5 hrs .but i felt much better after recompression , i could feel my arm getting better as i went deeper , hey this hypobaric medicine really works.
on the 2nd day of re compression i shared the chamber with 7 ! others , cancer patients, mouth surgery patients , and other assorted recovering patients , DCS is not the major user of the chamber

Regards
Matty

Yikes! I'm glad you were able to get treatment, but that sounds very unfortunate. :fingerscrossed: that you'll be cleared for diving again as soon as is reasonable, and have no lasting effects!

Thanks for the recap, it is something we don't hear much of on this thread and of interest to all. Very interesting that your chamber mates were surgery patients as I had no idea that compression was used for surgery. Did you learn why this method is supposed to help?

im no expert but my understanding is
Hypobaric ? re compression medicine is very useful in patients who have difficult or slow to heal wounds
because it saturates the blood therefore the wound area with with oxygen. which aids in the healing process, very useful in mouth surgery/ cancer
they are put on 100% o2 at depth.

also from what i understand
most divers who get a bend are diving within no decompression limits

dive computertables are calculated for the average diver
if you are older, carry extra weight, working hard/ unfit , drinking heavily, dehydrated you should change your computer to a more conservative setting .

Regards
Matty

Hi Guys
well im back in the water again and went for a few visits with my occys .

for some unknown reason thew are all very friendly again , out of their holes , grabing the camera playing and very curious ,

4233343498_43592f7ac0_o.jpg

Regards
Matty

Matty,
Did you go for the heart test or have you been cleared without it? Very glad you can continue to dive and that the effects seem to have been short term. Love the octo shot - He (guessing, that may be an enlarged sucker on the second arm which would indicate male, the third arm is not very clear but may be curled) is way bigger than I thought!

Hi Guys
yep i went for the heart test TOE and was cleared for the PFO ( no Hole in the Heart ) yay best Xmas prezzy i could hope for .
then went down to the Hypobaric doctor at the same hospital , and was cleared for diving with some restrictions.

i can testify the Occy in Question is quite big when he is right out of his home , im glad he doesent see us as a threat , because its fairly rough when the males start going head to head .

ill try and visit the site again soon , thinking about trying a Mirror and see how it goes , or is this just asking for trouble ??????

Regards
Matty

I am releaved to know that you went through the official checkout and hope you obey the restrictions.

While you are thinking about experimenting with mirrors ... :wink:

I have this thought that it is not so much the mirror that interests some of them but the type of light that is reflected (possibly something that we don't notice or see). In some of the videos and reports, sometimes octos react strongly to dive computers, cameras, mirrors and masks where other times there seems to be no reaction. Since you are in an experimental mood :sagrin: see if you can come up with a couple of different reflective items. Of particular interest would be something with a polarized filtering (I'm thinking this will reflect polarized light since it blocks it).

Have you tried tickling one of them between the eyes yet? The bimacs and hummelinckis seem to think this is every bit as desirable as a dog would.

my dive buddy has done the tickling trick and the octopus seemed to like it . because of his erratic nature its hard to tell whats going to work on the day .

which i kinda like , you dont know what your going to get , recently he is all play and fun , very bold , curious .

i think you may be correct re the light of the mirror

the octopus in question LOVES my wide angle dome lense on my camera which is coated in a polarising covering , masks no. hope to get out in the next couple of days and try the mirror

one more video , this shows the octopus really playing and out of his hole , soooo much fun

Matty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back