• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus Lighting

mazprot

Cuttlefish
Registered
Cyron (https://www.cyron.com/) makes LED lights that are bars that come with mounts I used them to light some jewelry cases for my business they are so light weight a little glass glue to the mounts and they stay just fine. They also have controllers that come with them that allow you to change the color as well and my particular units can be put up to speakers and will change to the music, although I would not suggest it as your octo might get epilepsy or something. But they do give you the option to go white during the day and red for night vieweing. I was thinking of some for my octo tank. Only problem is, they have a ton of wiring that has to be dealt with.

One last thing... Lowes sells a pack of these with controllers AC converters and 4 5inch bar lights. Just FYI
I personally chose to order the controllers and AC adapters offline and bought the 7 or 9 in (cant remember which) which are also sold at lowes typically.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Keep in mind that you are dealing with moving saltwater so protection against even a little splash is essential (one LED light down with burn marks reiterated that point recently with a unit made for hydroponics)

mazprot

Cuttlefish
Registered
DWhatley;194167 said:
Keep in mind that you are dealing with moving saltwater so protection against even a little splash is essential (one LED light down with burn marks reiterated that point recently with a unit made for hydroponics)

Very true. Luckily cyron's lights come with a protective plastic housing around them. They are on a bar inside a plastic tube. I have yet to subject them to an aquarium setting but they seem durable enough to handle the task.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak