• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Lifespan

I'm new here and I have been considering getting an octopus. What I need to know is how long is Octopus bimaculoides(the two spotted octopus) lifespan? Books I've read say that the lifespan of an octopus is up to 3 years, but here it says that they live anywhere from 6 to 18 months, so whats the truth?

superwaterguy52;80537 said:
I'm new here and I have been considering getting an octopus. What I need to know is how long is Octopus bimaculoides(the two spotted octopus) lifespan? Books I've read say that the lifespan of an octopus is up to 3 years, but here it says that they live anywhere from 6 to 18 months, so whats the truth?

An average life span is between 18-24 months although they can live to about 3 years and they can die in less than a year. Basicly it depends on several factors. 1, the temp they are kept at, they will grow faster at warmer temps and also die sooner. 2, Females die about a month after laying eggs so depending if she has mated determines when she will die.

The truth is...it depends on species. Giant Pacific Octopuses are the ones usually living up to 3 years, not other species. Other types generally live up to just a year to a year and half as mentioned...18-24 months.

In captivity, octopuses usually live a bit shorter, but again depends on living conditions. It can also depend on how much is fed to the octopus and what is fed on a daily basis. Their just an all around short lived animal.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

If you look at the List of Our Octopuses (top of Journals and Photos forum), you can see how long people have been able to keep bimacs (O. bimaculoides) and other species. I would hope for 10 months - this puts the lifespan at a year or more if the octopus is 2 or 3 months old when you buy it.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back