• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus is refusing to eat

Aaron

Cuttlefish
Registered
I just don't understand it - my last octopus ate for a few days and then starved itself to death. It looks like the one I have now (he's an adult - fully grown Bimac) is doing it too. He also ate for a few days and then stopped. Everything is as it should be .... he has a place to hide, all water parameters are fine ... (no ammonia - no nitrite - nitrate less than 20 and dropping - water temperature at 69-72 degrees - Ph at 8.2 - salinity at 1.026 - low level light at 10 hrs a day - tank is 8 months old - two small urchins are in with the octopus) .... There's a hermit crab in with him now but he won't eat it ... he won't eat anything I give him ... not scallop, or shrimp, or clam. I ordered some fiddlers ... but I have a feeling he'll ignore those too ... Is there some type of syndrome going on here?

Hmmm....How long has the tank been up and running? Could you be offering him food items that are too large? How big is he? How long has he been with you? I see the tanks' 8 months old so it should be stable.

You must be getting some bad luck with all of these adult octopuses as eating decreases as senescent symptoms begin to appear.

It does not sound like anything else is going on here. Try procuring some younger octopuses if that is possible.

Greg

I wish it were that simple .... my baby octopus also refused to eat after about 5 days ... The one I have now is an adult - but it's not an old octopus ready to die ....

Is there anything else it could be? Are you using very bright light, is there lound music with lots of bass?

I tend to think Greg is right - you don't know how old it is, and octopuses don't live very long.

Nancy

Hiya Nancy ... I really don't believe the octopus isn't eating becouse he's too old ... he had a ravenous apetite just a few days ago ... and this pattern of not eating is identical to the baby octopus I had. There is something at play here that has not been identified ....

Nancy;104738 said:
Is there anything else it could be? Are you using very bright light, is there lound music with lots of bass?

I tend to think Greg is right - you don't know how old it is, and octopuses don't live very long.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back