Octopus in a 44 gallon aquarium

asid61 mentioned that they are interested in "CB", which I assume refers to captive breeding. A small male bimac might be okay in a 44 gallon tank, but females are larger, and are less likely to like such a small tank. Used tanks are generally cheap, and larger is better all around, so I really don't recommend skimping. If you get a young one, a 44 will be fine for several months at least, so you could start with it, but only if you can trust yourself to actually get around to upgrading before your octopus needs more room. That would give you a few months to find a deal on a used tank. If you live in a medium to large city, it's likely that you could buy a used 65-85 gallon tank with all the accessories, and sell the parts you don't need, individually, for as much as you paid total, getting the tank for free (except for the hassle).

asid61

GPO
Registered
Well, my mom is the problem. She does not like the fact that I even have an aquarium, and she will not allow me to get a new aquarium if I tear this one down. She does not want me to plumb multiple tanks into this one. And she will only let be buy captive bred cephs.
Another option I have considered is captive bred dwarf cuttlefish. She is slightly more lenient on cuttles (presumably because they are not as smart?) and according to Richard Ross's article on caring for them, they like tall tanks. I also have MH lighting, so I am starting to lean in the cuttle direction as I heard they are more tolerant of high lighting.
Should I start a new thread in the cuttlefish care forum?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
As far as acquiring an acquacultured octopus, the opportunities are few and far between for any species. When we do see hatchlings available, they have been from educational projects with wild caught females, not from captive breeding.

Most purchasable cuttlefish in the US are wild caught, not captive bred, eggs (there are no cuttlefish in our hemisphere so they are all imported). We do occasionaly see some from forum members, but it is very rare (as I stated above, never for octopuses and this is not likely to change for the octos accept in in situ farms where they are raised for food and the species are too large for home aquaria, it may for cuttles). If you want to investigate further, yes start a new thread in the cuttlefish care forum but unless your mother will allow wild caught eggs, you might want to put the project asside for awhile but stay involved with the forum to see the progress.

Latest Posts