Octopus ID??

DanGz

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey! My name is Daniel, I live in Mexico. I just registered in this forums but I've been following Tonmo for 12 years now! I think I've read most of the threads. I studied a lot of octopus keeping and 3-4 months ago I decided to give it a try at keeping my first octo.
So I bought one from a fish store here in Mexico, they told me it was imported but didn't tell me from where, the seller just doesn't give me enough info to have an idea about what species it is. I was very afraid to buy him at first but since I didn't find more sellers elsewhere I decided to give it a shot.
So, the octopus arrived in very good shape, I have him/she for 5 days now and acclimated really quickly to my presence and tank. The octo is diurnal, and gets inside a hole in live rock at night, when I turn on the light at night it comes aout to say hello. The octo has two ocelli (closed circle) and seems to be very firendly and curious, so I need help to know what species could it be?? I had a mini heart attack thinking it could be a Ocellate Poison Octo because of striped tentacles when camouflaging, hope it's a bimac, what do you think?
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 11.16.00.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 11.14.58.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 11.14.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 11.14.39.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 11.16.40.jpeg

Octopus hummelincki.
It has the blue rings like a bimac but the have different color/skin patterns.

Upvote 0
From what I can gather O. Hummelincki does not get very big. 25 cm (a little over 9 inches).
Another name for it is octopus filosus. Carribean two-spot octopus.
If it is indeed tropical, you might want to keep the water temp on the lower end of its temperature range. (Maybe 70°F?)
That way you can extend its lifespan.

Upvote 0
From what I can gather O. Hummelincki does not get very big. 25 cm (a little over 9 inches).
Another name for it is octopus filosus. Carribean two-spot octopus.
If it is indeed tropical, you might want to keep the water temp on the lower end of its temperature range. (Maybe 70°F?)
That way you can extend its lifespan.
I had with 77ÂşF yesterday but lowered to 70ÂşF but today was less active, maybe she's adapting... I hope I can enjoy her a lot of time, it's my frist time keeping an octopus and I never thought I could get attached so fast, she's very intelligent and I'm really amazed so far by her behaviour, I've seen tons of videos but you never imagine how it would be to have one!

Upvote 0
Okay. Keep that temp around 70°F and try to let it used to its environment. Octopus can take up to two weeks to acclimate. So don't play with it to much at first. Let it get used to you and others.
Three things to look out for. Heavy breathing, Ph, and Oxygenation.
Your system should have a protein skimmer. So that aught to cover the Oxygenation. Make sure your ph is in range.
If the octopus ever looks like it is breathing heavily without doing anything extenuating, then test your tank. Check ph, make sure the protein skimmer is working, and check the temperature.
If all those things seem fine then move on to testing other things like ammonia.

When the time comes for interaction always be sure to be aware where the beak is in proximity to you. Playing with the arms and letting it grab you is fine. Just don't let it bite you

Upvote 0
Okay. Keep that temp around 70°F and try to let it used to its environment. Octopus can take up to two weeks to acclimate. So don't play with it to much at first. Let it get used to you and others.
Three things to look out for. Heavy breathing, Ph, and Oxygenation.
Your system should have a protein skimmer. So that aught to cover the Oxygenation. Make sure your ph is in range.
If the octopus ever looks like it is breathing heavily without doing anything extenuating, then test your tank. Check ph, make sure the protein skimmer is working, and check the temperature.
If all those things seem fine then move on to testing other things like ammonia.

When the time comes for interaction always be sure to be aware where the beak is in proximity to you. Playing with the arms and letting it grab you is fine. Just don't let it bite you
Ok, thanks a lot for the tips! I have a protein skimmer, I've been testing the tank a lot and everything seems normal, the nitrates are very low, I have a refugee with cheato algae and a lot of live rock that seems to be helping with that.
Are bites on this species more venomous than other octopuses? (like blue-ringed or Ocellated Poison Octo)

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks a lot for the tips! I have a protein skimmer, I've been testing the tank a lot and everything seems normal, the nitrates are very low, I have a refugee with cheato algae and a lot of live rock that seems to be helping with that.
Are bites on this species more venomous than other octopuses? (aside from blu-ringed)
Not 100% sure. I am fairly confident it is not the poison ocellate octopus (the proportions don't look right) but there are other octopus species with venom too.
Look at this thread.

Upvote 0
Not 100% sure. I am fairly confident it is not the poison ocellate octopus (the proportions don't look right) but there are other octopus species with venom too.
Look at this thread.
I'll be extra carefull just to be safe! :eek2: Thank you for the read link

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back