octopus id help needed

jonbtr11

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I wonder if you can help me out
Here is what appears to be mimic octopus i found at 16mtrs in the northern area of the gulf of Aqaba in Egypt. I found it to be imitating a feather star whilst lying on the sand. As i approached it started to move its arms as up into a curved position. it then started to disappear into a small hole / burrow in the sand. there have been a few other sightings in two other areas, all on sandy areas near to sea grass. The one i saw had an approximate arm span of 35cm, with a small head comparatively. The other sightings seem to all be smaller. All sightings have been on day dives as night diving is not allowed in this area.
Is this the same species as the Indonesian mimic octopus or a new one?
thanks for your time
john butler

Attachments

• conv_303539.jpg
    conv_303539.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_303540.jpg
    conv_303540.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 104
Hi and welcome to the site! :welcome:

We do have people as Tonmo members who have studied mimic and wunderpus octopuses, so you should get some interesting replies.

Nancy

Upvote 0
I have so far sent the pics and info to a few different sites but so far no news back. I go back to the same spot every other day but i haven't seen it again. ill keep trying and report my findings!

:sink:

Upvote 0
She is an expert on octopuses and has particular interest in the species in Indonesia. I believe she is still on a dive/discovery trip :mrgreen: I am hoping she will see the post (I PMed her as well)

Upvote 0
Roy could probably help as well, but he may be on the same dive trip; at least, I haven't seen him post recently...

Upvote 0
Thats exactly what i thought! so u can imagine my surprise and excitement when i had one sitting in front of me.
Ive been out looking again and have found what i think is the burrow openings. its just a case of going back and checking with my camera everyday.
Ive been trying to find more info about them being documented but there seems to be nothing.
who do i report it to for documentation?

Upvote 0
If we can get Roy or Chrissy out of the water, they will be able to direct you and help establish the sighting. I am sure this will be of interest when they are aware of your post.

Upvote 0
My copy of Norman 2000 happens to be right here (one should always have one within arm's reach). The mimic occurs from the Red Sea to at least New Caledonia. I think the range was even further expanded eastward in the description. So yes- you did see a mimic in Egypt- congratulations and nice pics!

As predicted I'm just back from a trip. I'm living in Indo for a while, so my Tonmo outages might be a bit more frequent. But please do keep me posted through the PM.

Upvote 0
mucktopus;134044 said:
nope- same thing! I wonder how the editions differ.

Supposedly there were updates but, of course, they are not marked. Mine ends with an empty note page at 230 (and stays at the top of the pile on my desk :wink:)

mucktopus;134044 said:
Surface interval- 24 hr- planning to be back in the water tomorrow.
:mrgreen:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back