• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus for a beginner

as a baby you can probably just feed it small crabs or shrimp. By the time you get it, it probably wont be so small that you'll need amphipods or mysis.

I agree with Simple.
I caught my bimac myself, and the mantle was about 2.5 inches then, so I never had it as a tiny baby. My rule of thumb is to feed her a chunk of food that is about the same width as the distance between her eyes.

How small does it have to be to be fed mysis and amphipods? The hermit crabs and snails at livebrineshrimp.com come in a variety of sizes so I think in one order I should get some small enough for a baby. I think those hermits are way smaller then the space between the two eyes. Also, are snails good for the octo I can supply it with shrimp fiddlers hermits scallops blue legs and many clams but I can buy a dozen snails for 2.40 at live brine shrimp. Should I just experiment with him? Do you get the scallops at costco opened or shelled?

It would have to be pretty small since a mysis is about this size --> ...
I never had my octo eat any snails, so you should definitely have other foods available. I fed my octo raw shrimp (with the shell still on it) and fiddler crabs. I havent heard of any octopus not liking fiddlers; so those are always a safe bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back