• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus food

Yea, your right. I got my little cousin one a few years back and found them as bathtub toys last time I visited. They were all yellow, not something I would like in my tank. Thanks for the reminder Colin, you always seem to help everyone out before a disaster can occur. Countless octos have been saved as a result of you and you endless experience! :notworth:
I was also wondering if anyone knew where to find cuttlefish. I would love to have something in our livingroom to show off. My dad wont let me put an octo downstairs because he says "it looks like something out of aliens." but he accepted the idea of a cuttlefish. Every time we would go to the LFS he would point out how much he liked ghost fish, and the way they move. But he has too much pride to go freshwater :roll: . I think he is in tune for a cuttle, and I started buying up supplies to start aclimating (sp) the water. A kick ass 75g with another Eheim 2229, Turbo Tloator 1000, and a sump/ refrigerum loaded with micro algae and maby some clams (I hear they eat nitrates... I dunno if that is true, but ill do some homework). I would love to go catch a cuttle, but live in Virginia (I do have SSI certification :mrgreen: ). So where do I go to get one? I can pay just about anything as far as shipping goes, but I just want it to arrive SAFE.
Any thoughts...

:smile:

uh oh....... not gonna be easy :frown:

you need to read back old posts about cuttles and see what nightmares your fellow americans have had trying to get cuttles! As far as catching one yourself there is one drawback..... you dont get them around the american coasts at all!

If money is no object then perhaps you can import them from the UK but you are talking a lot of red tape and expensive liscensing, etc.

do a search on Sepia bandensis on this site and see what you come up with... its the most commonly imported cuttle and rarely lives longer than a few weeks in captivity... not an easy task i'm afraid to say

thanks for the kind comments :smile:

Thanks Colin,
Im going to do my best to get ahold of one. I would most likely like to ship them as eggs, beacue of the easier shipping factors. But if they are as hard to find as you say they are, then most likely its going to be impossible to find eggs. I think I read on some post forum that the "octopets" guy was looking into the Septa cuttles. Ill give it a shot,
Scott

I remember a few years back That Fish Place in Pa had a cuttlefish. If you're not too far from Lancaster, you may want to put in a call to them. I've had good luck with all that I've purchased there.\

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back