Octopus food

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Yes, you can use crawfish for part of your octo food, at least after your octopus has grown a bit.

I don't think we have any research results on this subject, but an octopus is an ocean dweller and normally eats things from the ocean, not freshwater creatures. Your octopus could have deficiencies if you fed it wholly on crawfish. Add some shrimp or other seafood to balance his diet.

Also, crawfish would be better food after your octo gets a little larger. You can also start with smaller crawfish. Some I've fed to Ollie have been an inch or an inch and a half long. But if you catch them yourself, you'll have access to all sizes.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

BuShIdO

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thank you, ill make sure to feed it other than just crawfish, not to mention lakes freeze over durring the winter here. It just sounds fun to go get them and feed one out here and there, watching octos hunt is the best part. The either seem to think it out, or just use brute force.

just a question, do i have to worrie about pinchers or anything?(not pinching me, but the octo).

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
This is based on my experience with Ollie -

I don't think crawfish are very good for small octopuses. We've already had a report of one killed by a crawfish. Also, octopuses have to learn to hunt each type of prey. Even as a larger octo, Ollie did not know how to deal with a crawfish at first, and once pounced on it backwards.

I would make sure the crawfish is considerably smaller than the octo. There seem to be different species of crawfish - some have small pincers that are little problem, and some are very sturdy with big pincers (they look like small lobsters) that could do some damage.

I give Ollie the crawfish in this way - I hold it in tongs with its tail to Ollie. I make sure Ollie sees it. Then I release it above the sand. Ollie will swoop over and envelop the crawfish. I use this this method to prevent the crawfish from running into a hole and trying to defend itself. It works really well.

Although Ollie likes crawfish, he seems to like hunting and eating small shrimp even more.

Nancy

BuShIdO

Cuttlefish
Registered
The tongs sound like a good idea, i wont be feeding and crawfish till i know the octo is of size and power to take them with little effort. I have been pinched by the things more than enough, includeing them large ones with the pinchers the size of my thumb. I wont bother getting them, just the little females with small pinchers.

SDinning984

Cuttlefish
Registered
Can we have a list of feeder fish that wont hurt anything in the tank? Wouldn't want to give it something that will hurt the octo. Are the gold fish at the LFS ok to use?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well 1st off i certainly wouldn't use goldfish... they are prone to problems and normally get treated with copper based medications so that's a big problem!

Probably the best feeder would be mollies as they can be cheap and will even adapt to the marine water if done over an hour or two.

Importantly though, fish is not an ideal diet for an octopus and you should always have a good reliable source for crabs and shrimps before you get an octopus as this mimics their diet in the wild.

C

SDinning984

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thank you Colin :notworth: I ordered a 50 pack of hermits I am keeping in my Fish only tank. They are small, so I feed once a day. I had a question about toys, I posted this in another forum, but i dont think anyone will come across it any time soon... Deep in the darkest corners of TONMO... anyway,
Some octos like legos, and some like live fiddlers and other live animals/food that they chase around the aquarium but dont actually kill/eat. I was thinking of useing thoes little plastic fish that have tails that flap, so they can actually swim, they just do it mindlessly. Would this mess with the octos heads (if they attack and dont kill, then try again and again, and fail over and over) or make a good toy? Would they realize it isn't alive, even tho its tail flaps?
Thanks to anyone who responds!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
My octopus is very good at recognizing what is edible and what is plastic. Once he touched it, I doubt it he'd be interested, but octos have different personalities and like different things.

Also, a younger octo might be frightened by something that moved like the fish.

My octo, Ollie, doesn't like toys but does like to play tug of war with the feeding stick and likes possessions that he hides in his den. The latest possession is a small bottle with some sand and a shell in it, closed off with a cork.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yeah an octo will play with a mag float.... :smile:

As a rule, before putting anything in an octo tank you should make sure that it is safe for use with human foods or human cooking... as some of the cheaper plastics can leach out chemicals, I'm sure the fish you are talking about would do that... at least lego is made to be safe for kids as many kids chew/swallow lego blocks accidently. :cry:

SDinning984

Cuttlefish
Registered
Yea, your right. I got my little cousin one a few years back and found them as bathtub toys last time I visited. They were all yellow, not something I would like in my tank. Thanks for the reminder Colin, you always seem to help everyone out before a disaster can occur. Countless octos have been saved as a result of you and you endless experience! :notworth:
I was also wondering if anyone knew where to find cuttlefish. I would love to have something in our livingroom to show off. My dad wont let me put an octo downstairs because he says "it looks like something out of aliens." but he accepted the idea of a cuttlefish. Every time we would go to the LFS he would point out how much he liked ghost fish, and the way they move. But he has too much pride to go freshwater :roll: . I think he is in tune for a cuttle, and I started buying up supplies to start aclimating (sp) the water. A kick ass 75g with another Eheim 2229, Turbo Tloator 1000, and a sump/ refrigerum loaded with micro algae and maby some clams (I hear they eat nitrates... I dunno if that is true, but ill do some homework). I would love to go catch a cuttle, but live in Virginia (I do have SSI certification :mrgreen: ). So where do I go to get one? I can pay just about anything as far as shipping goes, but I just want it to arrive SAFE.
Any thoughts...

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
:smile:

uh oh....... not gonna be easy :frown:

you need to read back old posts about cuttles and see what nightmares your fellow americans have had trying to get cuttles! As far as catching one yourself there is one drawback..... you dont get them around the american coasts at all!

If money is no object then perhaps you can import them from the UK but you are talking a lot of red tape and expensive liscensing, etc.

do a search on Sepia bandensis on this site and see what you come up with... its the most commonly imported cuttle and rarely lives longer than a few weeks in captivity... not an easy task i'm afraid to say

thanks for the kind comments :smile:

SDinning984

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thanks Colin,
Im going to do my best to get ahold of one. I would most likely like to ship them as eggs, beacue of the easier shipping factors. But if they are as hard to find as you say they are, then most likely its going to be impossible to find eggs. I think I read on some post forum that the "octopets" guy was looking into the Septa cuttles. Ill give it a shot,
Scott

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I remember a few years back That Fish Place in Pa had a cuttlefish. If you're not too far from Lancaster, you may want to put in a call to them. I've had good luck with all that I've purchased there.\

Carol