• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus food

debbie

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi are crayfish are good source of food ? It's the only thing he will eat so far. I have tried hermit crabs,snails, clam on half shell, shrimp, and silversides. Thanks Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Octopuses enjoy eating crawfish. Some experts worry about feeding too many crawfish, because they come from a freshwater environment,

Is this the same octopus you had in a large tank in the spring?

You don't tell us enough about the food you're trying to feed. I assume at least some of it is live, but what about the shrimp? If it is not live, fresh or freshly thawed good quality frozen shrimp, your octopus may not acccept it.

You might try a mussel, but they make the tank dirty, so don't leave them in too long. Is the size appropriate? Fiddler crabs are usually bigger than hermits.

Nancy

the only live food was hermit crabs, snails and the crayfish. Shrimp was freshly thawed that i purchased from seafood store. What about green crabs? their body is size of quarter, some half dollar. They may Be too big though. Thanks Nancy

Any live crab is likely to be accepted. Fiddlers are used because they are easily available but I have used various others. I do disable claws to remove the chance of skin damage and infection.

Yes, just the two front claws. On fiddlers, I only disable the male's large claw and leave the smaller claw as well as both female claws. Basically, if it can puncture human skin, I remove it.

Hi I am sad to say that I have not seen Octo in about 4-5 days when I used to see him daily. I don't know if she laid eggs, went into senanance or died. I think I know where her den is but it's under a bunch of rocks and I can't see inside it. How long do you wait before you look for them? Or do you? I have a red light on it for night viewing and I have been checking at all different hrs. Thanks for your help

Always a tough call. I recommend waiting 2 weeks before disrupting anything. When you do be very, very careful moving rocks as she may be hiding inside a rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back