Octopus encounters in Leigh Harbour

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi all,

I went for the last dive of the season on Saturday morning with a few friends and we picked a spot where we have reliably encountered octopuses in the past, and we weren't disappointed. Leigh Harbour is about 90 minutes north of Auckland and has extremely variable visibility, but it was the best I'd ever seen on Saturday - 7 to 10 meters!
So here are a few pics; one octopus was quite retiring, the other fairly gregarious. Inverts with personality. :smile:
There are some videos too, but the largest is 25 meg so I'm working with Tony on how to get them online.
I'm pretty sure they were both Octopus gibbsi but I'm checking with Steve... :roll:

Attachments

• conv_303024.jpg
    conv_303024.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 134
  • conv_303025.jpg
    conv_303025.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 132
  • conv_303026.jpg
    conv_303026.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 159
One of the dive computers said 18 C the whole time but I'm pretty sure it was colder than that, more like 16. Maybe it's just my 5mm wetsuit though. :roll:

Tintenfisch;94945 said:
One of the dive computers said 18 C the whole time but I'm pretty sure it was colder than that, more like 16. Maybe it's just my 5mm wetsuit though. :roll:

You northerners are wimps!!!!!! I use a 5/3mm suit all year round in the south!!!! In June the temps get below 10 and in the harbour below 5....I admit I don't stay in for long though :biggrin2:!

Nice pics though!!!!

j

I know... :oops: In my own defense though, one of the people with us was in a semi-dry, so I'm not the wimpiest of the bunch. (On the other hand my partner was diving without a hood (always does, while I wear an extra hooded vest :roll: ), so I'm hardly at the tough end of the spectrum either.) We were in for 90 min though! :razz:

Animal Mother;94953 said:
I am insanely jealous. No octopus encounters here in the heart of Texas. I've never even seen the ocean.

I'd say that calls for a road trip!

I have to weigh in here in defense of "Northerners", as in North pacific. I was on an octopus collecting trip this weekend and the water off Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands was a balmy 9 C ( its warming up!!!) My 5mm wetsuit was quite toasty after an hour beneath the waves.

Animal Mother;94953 said:
I am insanely jealous. No octopus encounters here in the heart of Texas. I've never even seen the ocean.

A road trip most indeedy! Waste no time!
Pack and go tonight!!

Taollan;94969 said:
I have to weigh in here in defense of "Northerners", as in North pacific. I was on an octopus collecting trip this weekend and the water off Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands was a balmy 9 C ( its warming up!!!) My 5mm wetsuit was quite toasty after an hour beneath the waves.

weeeeellllll you could be an honourary Southerner!!!! :biggrin2: I reckon North pacific northerners are more like south pacific southerners than our northerners............in water temp tolerance anyway!

Tintenfisch;94947 said:
I know... In my own defense though, one of the people with us was in a semi-dry, so I'm not the wimpiest of the bunch. (On the other hand my partner was diving without a hood (always does, while I wear an extra hooded vest ), so I'm hardly at the tough end of the spectrum either.) We were in for 90 min though!

Well if I'm honest, a few of our guys use a full dry suit! (it's quite fun to loosen the valves :twisted:) but to go in with out a hood.......brrrrrr!

J

I once dived in 16C water with only a 3mm wetsuit. It was okay, but my dive buddy (mom) was shivering the whole way. We only stayed in the water for 30 minutes becuase one guy who breathing so fast he used all the air up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back