Octopus Eggs

We got an octopus in that was collected off of the atlantic coast of South Florida and it laid eggs the next day in our system and i believe they are fertilized. The eggs started off small and white and now its been about 1-1.5months and the eggs have doubled in size and changed color to pink. The mother died soon after she laid them so no pics of her. If you can ID them or provide any tips on caring for the hatchlings, success rates, feeding options, tips to setup a grow out tank/system and what to expect would be appreciated.

here is a pic from 3 days ago:
octoeggs.jpg

here is today:
octoeggs2.jpg

Generally pink is not a good colour (for squid eggs at least), although your eggs look (externally) rather healthy.

Upvote 0
never seen pink eggs before with an octopus either - can you see the embryos inside?

looks like a large eggs species so amphipods will be the menu :smile:

Upvote 0
Hmmmm. I'd be inclined to sacrifice one with what looks like an embryo within; cut it open beneath a scope and see whether the embryo is viable (you'll know immediately; the chromatopohores, albeit embryonic, will display for you). It might sound barbaric, but it will put your mind at ease.

I was also intrigued to read that the eggs have doubled in size. Is this normal for octopus eggs, or is there an isotonic issue in the tank?

I've seen this lovely pink when there's been a circulation/aeration problem in the tank. The entire batch has fallen over shortly afterwards.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. Circulation/aeration is definitely not an issue; they are currently housed in a large 700 gallon system with many overflowing pipes between multiple levels creating lots of surface agitation. Not sure if i want to play surgeon, maybe ill just wait it out! Any advice on a grow out tank if it comes to that; i/we have never had to deal with octopus hatchlings before.

Upvote 0
You may be interested in Joefish84's recent posts about his briareus hatchlings, just to give you some idea about raising large-egged octos. Zyan Silver also described his setup raising bimacs, the most complete description I know of is in the Tropical Fish Hobbyist issue that had a lot of ceph contributions from TONMO folks. Dwhatley and gholland have also been raising mercatoris babies, and can probably be of some help.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back