Octopus Cyanea 55 gal???

Decay

Blue Ring
Registered
i actually thought something similar when i was picking out a tank. would i be happy confined in the same reletive area as im providing my pet.

while the great dane analogy is good to highlight how a large octopus would feel in a very small tank, but i think its a bit misleading. i dont think anyone would recomend the same sized tank for a squid as they would for a similar sized octopus. more space is better of course, but you need to look at the specific animal thats going to occupy it for a really accurate idea of whats suitable.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
It would seem that many people have opinions on keeping Octopus cyanea, but how many have actually kept one? Yes, this is an octopus that can get very large, certainly up to 5 kilos or more. However, my experience keeping several is that they do not grow nearly that large in captivity. You can view that as a positive or negative, but I had no problems keeping them in a 100 gal dedicated system for a year. They grew and fed actively, but certainly their behavior was not equivalent to what we see in the field. Given that they normally range over 10's of meters and use several dens, I would not expect "normal" behavior in a 100 gal syetem - or even a 500, but they do survive well in captivity. The trick seems to be to get them small (5 cm mantle length) and acclimate them early to captivity.

Roy

Decay

Blue Ring
Registered
kind of off topic but still related, im finishing up all getting all the extras for my cyanea tank (the octopus should be here next month) should i bother getting moon lighting being that their diurnal?

Decay;128353 said:
kind of off topic but still related, im finishing up all getting all the extras for my cyanea tank (the octopus should be here next month) should i bother getting moon lighting being that their diurnal?

I like the looks of moon lights, but it's not necessary.

Roctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
Roy, what do you think is the limiting factor for size in captivity? is it the tank size? the amount we feed them? nutrition? something else? Would you say this is true for most octos or just the larger ones?

has anyone kept both cyanea and vulgaris to maturity? big difference?